A mid-rated router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Ambling on from the T5 (router) thread, I am considering adding a mid-powered router to compliment the T5 and the M12V. Not a huge range to choose from but I have identified a couple of models - the DEwalt 621 and the Makita RP1110C which tick the right boxes. I just wondered if anyone has either of these models and can give their opinions.

I've never owned any DW tools but I do have some Makita tools (sanders) and I rate them highly.

cheers,

Ike

The Makita beat the DeWalt in a recent mag test. Not much between the two really IMHO.

I have had the DW621 for years now and rate it very highly. It's more powerful than most 1/4" routers at around 1100 or 1200 watts I think, very user friendly and has great dust extraction through one of the columns which makes it very quick, easy and efficient to use.

Takes an 8mm collet as well as the 1/4" one so you can use the bigger bits to make more of the power advantage if needed.

Haven't tried the Makita or others though to be fair, but never needed to and can't think of anything the DW is deficient in that would lead me to look elsewhere.......

Cheers, Paul. :D

I did look at the Triton. It doesn't appear to have an 8mm collet option, it's relatively heavy and looks a little more cumbersome (i.e. top heavy)which is no advantage with the dovetail jig. Reasonable price though.

Although, it would be very useful to also have the 1/2" capacity (the majority of my smaller bits are 1/2" - a legacy thing before I got the T5). I'd still be stuck witch using my old but trusty TR12, but has the drawback of being fixed speed, hard start and burning happens all too easily!

Are there any other mid-sized routers? 1100-1400W, 1/4"-8mm-1/2" and under 4kg?

cheers,

Ike

I have also found the Bosch GOF1300 CE, and the GMF1400 CEV. 1/4"-1/2" collets supplied but 8mm 8mm also available. The GMF 1400 looks very nice, but I'm puzzled. What's the advantages of having a seperate engine with a fixed base and a plunge base? Is it a gimmick or incredibly useful and worth the extra over the GOF 1300?

I never thought I'd say this but the Festool 1400 model looks the dogs danglies - shame it's so expensive!

Ike

ike":3q741j81 said:
I
I never thought I'd say this but the Festool 1400 model looks the dogs danglies - shame it's so expensive!

Ike

I agree - maybe there will be some good deals available in the future :roll: well, I can dream...................

John

i have the makita, and i realy like it. Pretty evenly matched spec wise to the dewalt 1100 watts, 1/4" and 8mm collets. Guide bushes are interchangable with dewalt. Controlls are similar too switch and plunge lock built into the handles. Dust extraction seems to be the main difference DW uses one of the plunge colums and the makita has a separate tube which works very well when i can be bothered to connect it up

Tom

I have the De Walt 615 which is a direct copy of the old Elu 96E and find it a brilliant router. Build quality is good and although only 900Watt has enough power for a small router for me. Also it has a proper switch that you don't have to hold on. :wink:

I have an Elu 97e which is the DW621 in yellow and have used the the Dw one as well ( at my last firm and they still use it ), that was 5 or 6 years ago.

I would be happy to get one again ( well I got the Elu from the Ebay for £46 ),
so I would have a look on there as there are some good deals to be had :)

Makita do make good routers but I have not used the one you are looking at.

I hope that helps :)

Hi Ike

The DW621 is excellent and the dust extraction is wonderful.

I would also recommend that you get an 8mm collet and if you want to fit Trend guide bushes I would suggest you buy the attachment from Brimarc, it's cheaper than the Trend base.

Cheers,
Neil

When I tested lots of small routers the DW with the fat dust extract pillar was streets ahead of all the others.

The dust extract at top of pillar is much more convenient than on base where Festo have theirs.

Plunge below base was good.

Visibility was good

General stability on pillars was much better than most etc etc

David Charlesworth

thanks for the advice chaps. Still not sure which one to get but have narrowed it down to a choice of 4.

ike

you started with a choice of two now you are looking at four! i dont think we have helped at all :D

you started with a choice of two now you are looking at four! i dont think we have helped at
all

that'll be evolution at work! No seriously, The brain cell hiccupped and now wants mid-size 1/2" router, that'll do it all. Metabo, Festool, the Festoolalike red one - I forget the make, are out of budget, but I'm quite impressed by the look and specs of the Bosch GOF 1300 and GMF 1400. Trouble is, I can't decide which is the better bet, and the Axminster 10% offer ends soon. Any thoughts anyone? PS. Not too impressed with the price of Bosch bushes (RA1107 and 30mm)

And of course there's still the small Triton albeit looks quite cumbersome but by far the cheaper one.

cheers,

Ike

I have one of those "one motor, two base" sets from Porter Cable (the 694VK kit) and use it all the time. Actually, PC threw in a D-handle base for free, as well, so I guess it's a three base set. I'm not sure if their "second" brand (Flex) does one of these, yet.

Funnily, I don't think I've ever used anything but the D-handle. It's just so easy to grab, set and lock, particularly for rabbeting, rounding and chamfering (most of my routing). Also, I've heard that fixed routers can be more stable with dovetailling jigs, but can't vouch for that firsthand.

This PC kit is a good, mid-powered "all-rounder"

Most of my plunge work is lighter, in any case, for which I (lazily) just grab an old Bosch 500POF.

Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

I went for the Bosch GMF1400CE. I'd read many good reviews of the Bosch combo kit in it's American guise as the 1617EVSPK. Also some of the debates on the relative merits of fixed and plunge bases. However I think a fair few comments read against fixed base routers are from people who have never used one. Each type has it's strengths and weaknesses and I reckoned the Bosch combo would be hugely versatile given it's 1/2" capacity, lowish weight and comprehensive accessory pack, so took a punt on it.

I've tried both bases and the fixed base is excellent - especially the depth adjustment. I'm waiting for a guide bush to arrive to use the Leigh jig. The 10 % deal from Axminster stacked up well, but the clincher was the side fence included at no extra cost. A normally £330 worth for £260. :wink:

Don't laugh but the high gloss lacquered beech handles on the fixed base are a very nice touch I think. I'd read that slippery handles are not a good thing, but you know what?, when I did some freehand edge moulding, it felt well, sort of natural when rotating the router around corners, like having ball and socket joints between me and the machine - precise with some rotational freedom, but allowing slick change of direction.

The handles on the plunge base are the opposite, rubber coated with an extremely comfortable snug grip, and in a slightly different way also giving excellent control.

Having put this kit to various tasks, I'm hugely pleased taking a punt on this model, although i'm yet to try it on a worktop joint. It should in theory cope albeit pushed hard, as my old Hitachi TR12 at only 1300W managed OK.

In short this router is superbly designed and built. To the naysayers out there I say, don't knock it (fixed base routers) until you try it - at least this one anyway.

cheers,

Ike

Back