A little thread of calm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sure Chris but I think E-readers and E paper aren't counted as screens, they don't have pixels like a screen does.
just the basic kindle, with no backlight is very much like reading on paper, at least to me. will have a play with the MIL's paperwhite over the weekend and let you know.

if you plan to just read like it's a book there isn't a point in splashing the cash on the backlit option, only benefit is being able to read it in the dark after lights out (obviously under the covers).

I have read under the covers. Sometimes I wake at silly a clock and can turn the light low on the paperwhite under the cover. It's brill.

FWIW my 1st Kindle Paperwhite had nil screen illumination. My new one (the old one's battery went kaput after MANY hours of reading) does have back light, but on mine anyway, you can not only adjust the background light brightness but also turn it off altogether.

Again FWIW, I find that the bigger I set the typeface (within reason!) the less brightness setting I need on the back lighting.

HTH

I think the lighting on the Paperwhite is frontlighting, rather than backlighting. I could be wrong, but I think that's why they're so good in bright sunlight. The screen is reflective as opposed to transmissive.

You may well be right John. I must confess that I'm not really sure of the difference (just by reading from it that is).

I've no idea about back or front lighting! But I found this:
'Does the Kindle Emit Blue Light?
Many hand-held mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets use blue light spectrums for their backlighting.
Although many newer devices utilize better filtering methods for the blue light, some tablets such as the Kindle emit blue light at all times.
And although the Kindle Paperwhite does emit a meager amount of blue light compared to other e-readers on the market, it does still emit some of it.
Studies have shown that there is still enough blue light emitted from the Paperwhite to have adverse effects on your sleep, melatonin production, and disrupt your circadian rhythm.'
here:
https://booksummaryclub.com/does-kindle ... lue-light/
As I'm affected by blue light, would I really need to get the more expensive version if I want to read before sleep? Or might none of them work? Sorry to be so useless.

novocaine":278i280m said:
I think you are quite possibly very likely rather correct. :D

Yup, that's a definite maybe novocaine ;-)

@Chris 152: Sorry, I have no idea. I can only say I haven't noticed any ill-effects (he says as he shuffles away into the corner while twitching like a .....). Seriously, I've no idea at all but haven't noticed anything - really.

Cannot recommend the Kindle paper white enough. We have had ours for 4 years now and would say they heve been one of the best value for money things we have bought. On top of that it also possible to buy books for not a lot of money. We follow an author L J Ross. Detective/thrillers set in the North East at €2.99 a book they are good value.

Something else to remember, you can borrow books from your library to read on the kindle and also there are a huge number of free books available. Pretty much anything out of copyright is available free.

A question which naturally suggests itself is that of the books to be read while housebound.

IMO they should ideally entertaining, thought-provoking and require close reading (one would soon get sick of an endless diet of schlock).

Therefore in that spirit I make my wholehearted recommendation of Rotherweird. I think it's like no other book. I reject comparisons of it with Gormenghast as being too thin, with Harry Potter as suggesting that the reviewer was drunk at the time of writing and with LOTR as suggesting that the reviewer hadn't actually read the book. (I love the first and third of those BTW.)

My all time favourite book story is "mission earth" by L Ron hubbard. Yes he's the nutter that founded scientology, but that trilogy (which is actually TEN books) is the most amazing fast paced action story that you just can't put down. =D> =D> =D> =D>

He called it a Decology and claimed to have invented the word, But Jet Heller knows better :)

I would advocate for anything by Iain M Banks (the middle initial is important, as he wrote mainstream fiction as Iain Banks, but science fiction as Iain M Banks just to confuse). My personal favourite is probably "Use of weapons", but any of them are outstanding. Vast, towering works of imagination.

Thanks for that "T n". Hadn't heard of him. Will look out for him. If you want "towering imagination" then if you haven't already, can I suggest Isaac Asimov, especially the Foundation "Trilogy" , which, with input from others, finished up at about 7 loosely connected volumes if I remember rightly.

Then of course there's Arthur C. Clarke, Robert A. Heinlein, & John Wyndham to name just 3 others in that genre; plus (IMO, "popular classics") such a R.E. Delderfield, especially "To Serve Them All Our Days", + other titles too;

and, and, and ..........

I read Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land when I was about twenty five, and thought it the best thing I'd ever read. I tried to read it again at fifty and wondered why I'd read such tripe. :D
About forty years ago I read two paperbacks of short stories by Asimov, one written pre war, one post. Every article had a postscript by the great man explaining what he thought when wrote them, what had come true and what hadn't. The majority had, and generally he was only adrift by the timescale.

Back