A little thread of calm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We heard this morning that all Gloucestershire libraries are closing from this w/e so we've just been in to get a pile of books. They've granted an amnesty on late returns even before they're overdue. One of my borrowings is "Small Island by Little Trains". A collection of bits and pieces about narrow gauge railways in the UK.
We'll be swapping books with friends and resorting to the tablet before this is all over.
Brian

Think there are various levels Bob so no dowt you are right. Im to cheap to pay more than the basic but i do re read a lot of the books i get.

Hope the NHS holds up as I reckon there'll be a fair demand for maternity units early next year.

I've come to the view that it's time for the workshop, fitness work, books and wine.

I've just finished a biography of General de Gaulle. I read it because having for years had the impression that he was a bit of a t**t, I thought I ought to find out the truth. Now I know he was a complete and utter t**t. He was also a very remarkable man and had some sterling qualities. That said, I think the book needs a subtitle: "Too French for his own or anybody else's good".

I'm currently on Vol III of the official biography of Mrs Thatcher and am just getting to the bit where she got stitched up by her own ministers. Fascinating stuff and as well written as a political biography could be.

Then it's on to a stash of murder stories that are waiting to be read.

And the wine is in the cellar.

What to do ? Mmmmm...let me see now

Finish orangerie
Make another seven internal panelled doors
Plus complex architraves to suit
100m of Georgian style skirting boards
Lay oak flooring in hall, landing, sitting rooms 2 and 3
Finish bathroom
Start my en-suite
Connect up whole house extraction system - been putting that off for years - I hate working in the loft.
Downstairs loo
Create and make cupboards for utility room and fit sink.
New front door
And next week....so anyone having nothing to do, workshop is large enough to maintain safe separation. Beer provided.

El Barto":3ovqvj2w said:
Is this for real? If so can I come and live with you?

It's a difficult life, full of stress and toil, but we soldier on despite the obvious shortcomings and tribulations. You do the best you can with what you've got.

I would love to have you come and visit, but unfortunately it's forbidden. Verboten. Απαγορεύεται. I will just have to make do on my own. Thank you for your support ;-)

Trainee neophyte":3o9hll6z said:
El Barto":3o9hll6z said:
Is this for real? If so can I come and live with you?

It's a difficult life, full of stress and toil, but we soldier on despite the obvious shortcomings and tribulations. You do the best you can with what you've got.

I would love to have you come and visit, but unfortunately it's forbidden. Verboten. Απαγορεύεται. I will just have to make do on my own. Thank you for your support ;-)
Did you see that picture of Regent street I posted on the other less relaxed thread?
Most of my days are spent there now. Or were. We'll see. Have to wonder what I'm thinking when I see your place of work. I like trees. I can prune them. I positively love wine and seafood. I fookin adore warm sea and snorkeling. I'm good with children and have an unearthly affinity with dogs. A well rounded background in general building and (badasslevel unlocked in) dry stone walling and a romantic penchant for apple based drinks.
I think you have your next visitor.
(homer)

Also if you get burglars.... can't say no more'n that. Legally.

Before anyone starts trying to book flights that don't exist, I should point out that we are down to our last 400 litres of cider. It's a worry. Not that I am trying to put anyone off, you understand.

I still got 5 cans of cider in the outdoor fridge, its barely past its date.
I 'spect a burgler would walk by it though.

sunnybob":11chqqui said:
If he had any sense he would. :mrgreen:

Trainee neophyte":6s55qxeg said:
Before anyone starts trying to book flights that don't exist, I should point out that we are down to our last 400 litres of cider. It's a worry. Not that I am trying to put anyone off, you understand.
400 litres Blumming lightweight I store more in my bladder :wink:

FatmanG":opx0r0e7 said:
Trainee neophyte":opx0r0e7 said:
400 litres Blumming lightweight I store more in my bladder :wink:

Hence the imminent panic! Can't resupply until August at the earliest, and it won't be ready until Christmas. :-(

Bm101":2w4wynic said:
sunnybob":2w4wynic said:
If he had any sense he would. :mrgreen:

If he had any sense, he wouldnt be sneaking around my back yard looking for something to steal.
theft deterrent.jpg

8) 8) 8) :roll:

Attachments

• theft deterrent.jpg
    theft deterrent.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 243
Calm, SB, calm... :)

Do you know if the cheapest Kindle (£70) emits the kind of light that can stop you sleeping properly? That light definitely affects me. Just got a few pages into Dickens and started to struggle already...

And - are these ready for planting out, or do I need to wait longer?
IMG_20200320_094155.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_094155.jpg
    IMG_20200320_094155.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 201
Chris, in all seriousness, some led lights can cause serious eyesight issues to some people. Make sure you dont have it too bright, dim it untill you realise you cant read as well as normal. maximum brightness should only be needed in bright sunlight (you remember that stuff? :roll: )
Have a read of this
https://news.sky.com/story/led-lights-c ... n-11721469
If it persists, go to an optician.

One man on an american forum said he started to have violent migraines from LED lighting.

Potato's hmmm, I'm an expert on them only after they have been chipped and during and after the frying process. 8) 8)

not ready yet chris, few more days.

I don't have a paperwhite or back lit kindle so can't comment on it but can you turn the backlight off completely?

Thanks both - taters stay where they are for the moment, then.

I'm just looking at the Kindles online, thinking I might buy, but different devices (phones/ computers etc) seem to use different terms for the mode that doesn't stop sleep and I can't figure it out. Only the most expensive Kindle seems to have 'warm light' option and I wondered if that's what I want (but couldn't afford, that one's really expensive). My phone screen goes yellow-ish in night mode and that does the trick.
SB - the issue with Dickens wasn't a device, it was the content (it's a hard copy, and I've not given up with it yet!) - the only issue I have is not sleeping after too much screen time before bed which I understand is common. But I definitely want to be able to read before nodding off at night. Our local chippy is taking orders by phone now so you can turn up when it's ready rather than hanging about in the shop. :)

Another nice thing to do - I got my daughter a sewing machine last week thinking it'd be something good for her to get on with if she had a lot of time at home, and she's doing gcse textiles so I'd been threatening a while. We set it up yesterday, what a brilliant thing! Never used one before.

I have the kindle paperwhite. You really can read it in bright sunlight. In fact its better than a paper book because in bright sun the paper causes too much white to reflect into your eyes.

I can adjust the light brightness, by about 20 steps, but not alter the colour of the light.

I find my kindle is better than any knockout pills. Go to bed, start reading, wake up and find the mrs has come in, taken the kindle away, turned the light out and left me alone. :roll:

Back