a little knowledge I didn't think I'd ever need ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
How do do a Heimlich Manoeuvre. My wife staggered into the kitchen, falling in front of me choking. I managed to get my wheelchair behind her and on the fourth or fifth attempt I got it. Not the easiest thing to do from a wheelchair, and I hope I never have to do it again. Scarey.

!!!

Words fail, other than well done! Need any help? (Not that I'm in a position to, but are you now sorted? If not, this isn't the best forum - NHS direct or similar might be better :)

she should probably get checked out by a doctor, in case of any internal damage.

that is what I was told on a recent first aid course, if the manoeuvre was ever used.

glad it all went well though.

Crikey. Glad all was well that ended well Phil!
At first I read it wrong and was about to get in touch with your Mrs to see if she had any Box handled paring chisels to sell.

:D
Maybe next time.
:wink:

Wow wow and wow again. Well done Phil for saving the day !

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Terrible that you had to act, great that you managed it, and amazing the efforts one can conjure up in times of desperation.

I only had vague idea til I read that, Duncan. It's amazing we weren't taught this kind of thing in school.

On my first aid at work course refresher. We watched a video where a girl was choking. she went from choking to full black out in less that 10 seconds. speed is vital and you did what you had to do. and from a wheelchair as well. May I add a humble well done too.

Great work in tackling what must have been a frightening time for both you and the Mrs, hope she is fully recovered now

Gold medal for swift thinking and two epaulette stars for achieving it from seated. As a First Aider of many years, my experience is that doing it (in drills )when standing up is DIFFICULT. Managing it for real from your chair deserves some serious respect. =D> =D> =D>

Sam

Back