A little disappointed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had the latest F & C fall on the doormat, got to page 25 and had a deja vu moment

Finewdk.jpg

Although 10 years later, I wonder what else has been recycled over the years

Ah - confirmation! I had a vague feeling I'd seen that somewhere before.

I think it gets difficult editing a magazine with a fairly narrow subject matter, because the same topics tend to come round again after a couple of years. I think the editors just run out of new angles to explore. With the contemporary bespoke furniture scene being quite restricted and 'samey', the chances of finding new and different articles and writers become much less. Once you've covered timber characteristics, handtool use, machine use, finishing, design, marketing and a few specialities like marquetry and antique restoration, there's not much scope for new and different. Hence the recycling - a sign of desperation setting in, perhaps?

A mate of mine gave up reading the Land Rover mags for the same reason - seen it all before. He just buys the odd one now and again for the adverts and news page. Maybe there comes a time for woodworkers to consider doing likewise.

cambournepete":2477vh9x said:
They kind of have to recycle content though, because there will be new readers who won't have seen it first time round.

It raises an interesting question - what are the key differences a reader would want between a book and a magazine?

BugBear

Evening folks

Cheshirechappie is pretty close with his analysis although I wouldn't quite agree with the contemporary scene being samey. Sure, there are trends but what's interesting is how folk arrive at the same conclusion having started out at different points on the compass. Like FW, F&C is part of a larger publishing company with activity in more than one market so like any business there will always be an element of cross-over. It's not a unique practice or restricted to the UK.

I can't speak for all the Eds but I certainly keep an eye on replenishing the ranks as there will always be a proportion of readers just passing through.

But, and this is where readers can make a difference, there just aren't enough contributors with all the skills it requires to fill the pages with unique content. One can hope that by adding to the gene pool this might change. It's no secret that the door is always open to new authors and you'll get plenty of support from me if you're game.

Derek

Hi Derek
Do I assume by your post that your are an Editor per chance? Out of interest which publication do you represent? Sorry if I have missed something or if the answer is cripticly hidden in your post but it's Friday, it's been a long week and a couple of glasses of vino with supper have slowed the brain somewhat.

Cheers
Richard

The problem with "Fine Woodwork" is of course that most woodwork isn't "fine" at all. It's easy to get bored with so much self conscious and meritorious "fine" stuff when there is a huge amount of really interesting other stuff going on, from green woodwork onwards, even involving axes and drawknives :shock: .

bugbear":1uaezfhi said:
It raises an interesting question - what are the key differences a reader would want between a book and a magazine?

BugBear
Difficult. I don't see the point of magazines at all, except when there really is news to report. And they are ferlking expensive in terms of content for money. I don't look at any of them from one year to the next.

Difficult. I don't see the point of magazines at all, except when there really is news to report. And they are ferlking expensive in terms of content for money. I don't look at any of them from one year to the next

Interesting comment especially as you admit that you never look at any ?

I used to buy F & C, working alone it was almost like a way of connecting to the woodworking community for me once a month. As times got harder it was one of the things I decided I could do without (forums like this have filled that void to a degree anyway).

I could for the life of me never follow the instructions given by writers to make the piece featured. Not that I ever tried to make anything out of the magazine. I would imagine it is very difficult to explain in writing how you made something without the article becoming too long.

I have a huge stack of old magazines I keep in the toilet (stop it!) which I enjoy having a look at to pass the time.

P.

Phil Sewell":t2wtw2od said:
I have a huge stack of old magazines I keep in the toilet (stop it!) which I enjoy having a look at to pass the time.

You see, & they say men can`t multi-task. :lol:

Harbo":1ewmq9z4 said:
Difficult. I don't see the point of magazines at all, except when there really is news to report. And they are ferlking expensive in terms of content for money. I don't look at any of them from one year to the next

You'll have to work that out for yourself.

The main thing about mags is that they are no longer a "forum" (if they ever were). The net has taken over this role.

Maybe the point is that there's not sufficient genuine novelty in woodworking to sustain 100% original content? Thinking back over the thirty odd years I've been woodworking what's actually new; routers maybe, biscuit jointers probably, vacuum veneering-just, maybe a slightly wider use of sheet goods? It's not that much in the scheme of things.

The other thing is that hobby woodworking is transitory. Many come in, tinker for a year or two but never get past a footstool or a bird's house, and then pack it in for photography or cycling or whatever. Consequently magazines have to aim their content at a certain level, hence the constant cycle of "Sharpen A Scraper" or "Build a Router Table" articles.

Harbo":39mqayh8 said:

Indeed. How does the OP know all this, if he never reads a magazine from one year to the next?

Course he does, from time to time.
Hoist, own and petard are words that come to mind! :wink:

Jacob":wrtak882 said:
Harbo":wrtak882 said:

The main thing about mags is that they are no longer a "forum" (if they ever were). The net has taken over this role.

The nice thing about magazines as opposed to 'the net', is that trolls can't get a foothold in magazines. The Editor's see to that!
8)

Benchwayze":3q3i3oii said:
How does the OP know all this, if he never reads a magazine from one year to the next?

Interestingly, I read it as "once I buy a magazine and read it once, I never look at it again", which isn't hypocritical at all...

JakeS":3pffobv3 said:
Benchwayze":3pffobv3 said:
How does the OP know all this, if he never reads a magazine from one year to the next?

Interestingly, I read it as "once I buy a magazine and read it once, I never look at it again", which isn't hypocritical at all...

Jake,

The OP either reads woodwork magazines regularly, or not. Of course he might not read them at all; never-ever. Period.

However, he said he doesn't read woodwork magazines from one year to the next. That pretty much uses all the time it takes for the Earth to orbit the Sun once. So unless he reads them on 'Leap Day', then he can't make a valid judgement on their content.

We can guess that he reads them 'now and then'; probably when in Dentists' or Doctors' waiting rooms. I doubt he'd buy them, given his opinion on their value.

If he still maintains that he doesn't read them, then his judgement is either a contradiction in terms, a prejudgement, or a little bit of hypocrisy; or a mixture of all three! :mrgreen:

And seeing the picture above... I am going fishing! :lol:

Benchwayze":3m0qh70k said:
JakeS":3m0qh70k said:
Benchwayze":3m0qh70k said:

Jake,

The OP either reads woodwork magazines regularly, or not. Of course he might not read them at all; never-ever. Period.

However, he said he doesn't read woodwork magazines from one year to the next. That pretty much uses all the time it takes for the Earth to orbit the Sun once. So unless he reads them on 'Leap Day', then he can't make a valid judgement on their content.

We can guess that he reads them 'now and then'; probably when in Dentists' or Doctors' waiting rooms. I doubt he'd buy them, given his opinion on their value.

If he still maintains that he doesn't read them, then his judgement is either a contradiction in terms, a prejudgement, or a little bit of hypocrisy; or a mixture of all three! :mrgreen:

And seeing the picture above... I am going fishing! :lol:

I take it OP means original poster (if I'm wrong then please correct me) in that case I'm Spartacus.

People seem to be metaphorically putting words in my mouth, but just to set the record straight I buy and read at least three mags monthly as it gives me something to do whilst stomaching the daily journey on the train to and from work and I regularly go back to past copies for different projects/ideas/working practices/tool reviews etc.

However that being said I wanted to highlight how woodworking publications worldwide are sharing their work essentially for profit with the originality of the writers work being regurgitated numerous occasions and over long periods of time.

There has been some interesting comments made in this post and as I am due to retire from my current profession immediately after the Olympics I intend to follow the suggestion of dj3d and attempt to get something published.

Finally I would be interested to find out from those in the know when having articles published (woodbloke et al), who's permission is needed for the article to be placed in another publication i.e. can the publishing house just sell it on themselves or is the original authors consent also required

My apologies Kat.
I was referring to the remark made by another poster (My OP refers to someone who allegedly does not read magazines from one century to the next; or something equally as ridiculous!)

I was merely pointing out that if he doesn't read them how the heck can he judge what's in them!.
Okies?
Sorry again.

In answer to your question, if you write an article or story, the copyright is implicit in the work as soon as you finish. A magazine can't sit on your article, and use it later without your permission. If they do they are breaking the law, and I doubt any would take that risk.
HTH

:)
And I'm still going fishing. :lol:

Latest posts

Back