A Little Carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
The workshop/garage is far too cold so I have been doing some carving at my desk. Here is one of the results:-

Owl side on small.jpg

Another view showing scale:-

Owl + pound small.jpg

The wood is pear with a shellac sealer and wax finish.

xy

Attachments

• Owl side on small.jpg
    Owl side on small.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,258
  • Owl + pound small.jpg
    Owl + pound small.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,201
Very nice little piece =D>

Looks a little dark for pear, is it stained or just the effect of the shellac?

Gives me the urge to grt the chisels out.

Bob

Roger, thanks for that. For me, carving the Owl certainly fell in with your words in your recent 'Quick Little Box' thread, "I am a great believer in that you must like the project you are working on but must also take time to make things purely to 'feed the soul' so that you do not get bored!"
Now if I can approach the tangible beauty you manage to get in items like your box....

Bob, I agree about the wood, I was given it a long time ago by a chap in Lincolnshire who pulled it out of his orchard. Now he told me it was Pear, but he also had Apple and Plum. It is not Apple, possibly Plum, I suppose that should be Prunus? The finish is just one coat of Shellac sanding sealer and a coat of Mr. Jamiesons Original Wax Polish.
I would be dead chuffed if seeing my effort encouraged you to get out your chisels. I have to say most of this was done with knives but in the end although there are tools which are clearly chisels, and some equally clearly knives there are some which could be either.

Thanks agian for leaving comments fellas.
xy

Hi XY
I've done a little carving with knives but much prefer traditional chisels and gouges, just personal choice.

I really enjoy carving. Watching something evolve from a lump of wood is a great feeling, very like when turning but with more freedom of form. Just haven't had time for years - it's on my "when I retire" list !

Bob

Bob, I find the choice is normally based on scale, I prefer to use chisels with two hands, or at least the carving clamped. This was hand held so knives worked well. Although one was sharpened across a flat at the end, does that make it a chisel? I fancy trying some of the Detail gouges, Iles do a range called Peter Benson, but at £20 quid a time I need to be sure. They are down at 1.5 - 3mm so should be useful at this scale. Perhaps I'll track some down at a show sometime.

xy

Very nice indeed xy. And you get to work in the comfort of warmth too. Not that it matters but my vote is plum (having recently got one of Pedder's saws with a plum handle).

xy mosian":1kajxlzw said:
Bob, I find the choice is normally based on scale, I prefer to use chisels with two hands, or at least the carving clamped. This was hand held so knives worked well. Although one was sharpened across a flat at the end, does that make it a chisel? I fancy trying some of the Detail gouges, Iles do a range called Peter Benson, but at £20 quid a time I need to be sure. They are down at 1.5 - 3mm so should be useful at this scale. Perhaps I'll track some down at a show sometime.

xy

I have a set of palm chisels (Henry Taylor - acorn) which aren't fantastic quality but quite nice to use, a bit like a knife but I have tried a mates flexi chisels which I liked a lot.

I've always fancied making a few knives - might add that to my list :)

Bob

Douglas thanks, you are right about the comfort, I had been looking for a 'rewarding' pastime for the long evenings, I think I may have found it. OK Plum it is, I'll photograph a piece when I have figured out how to with my point and press digital camera.

Bob, I have a few Flexi-Cut blades, small variety for Axminster power carver. I never did buy the carver but have the blades mounted in pin chucks bought from Proops and those glued into Isles reduced price handles, they certainly work well. I must try them out again on this small scale. Of course in the end ity doesn't matter what is used, it just needs to be sharp.

xy

Latest posts

Back