A little box needing help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
It is my eldest daughters 16th, today. I have made her a humble box for her 'smoking' knick-naks, and wanted to line it with some sticky backed velvet stuff (felt?) I have had lurking about for some time. I have never used it before and was amazed at just how sticky it is. I have used about 5 times the amount I needed because once it sticks to itself it is impossible to prize apart.
Anyway, it is, at the moment, far from perfect. I wondered if anyone here has any advice to offer other than that which I have tried - namely gently gently, peel off as I apply from one side to another, feeding it into corners as I go.

Aaaargggghhh. Please help, as I am reluctant to have another go without a bit of hope. I need to give her it tomorrow, so I have to do whatever I can tomight, including another coat of oil. The elm is dry and really pulls it in.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
jessbdaybox001.jpg

jessbdaybox003.jpg

PS, easy does it; I am a site chippy installing kitchens etc. This foray into your world is an Elm top (old, rustic), oak sides, rosewood trim. The felt stuff needs trimmiing round the top in order to allow the box to close in position, so it is a little lopsided in the pic. When finished it should be pretty straight/level.

It may help if you heat the felt with a hair drier, it should soften the glue a little and give you a chance to re-align. looking at your photo it looks as though you have tried to fit the felt in one piece. The method I use is to get some card ( usually the card from a quire of sandpaper ) cut five pieces, one to fit the base, four to fit the sides slightly undersize top to bottom ( dependable on the thickness of material used, ie baize, leather, velvet or marble paper ) stick the baize to the card wrapping it over the top edge on the side pieces, then stick this to the box starting with the base then the sides. This will give a nice rolled top edge which is neater than trimming and will not peel away from the top edge after a little use. I hope you still have time to sort this out.

P.S. Wish your daughter a happy birthday from me, it is also my birthday today.

Regards,

mrpercysnodgrass

Percy

Thanks for your advice- I tried this and it has helped a bit. What I did was to fit the bottom as best I could, cut the waste from around the bottom so there was a reasonably tidy piece covering the inside bottom, then I cut a strip long enough to run all the way around the inside of the edges, slightly overlapping the bottom thus ensuring full coverage. At the cost of a slightly raised, visible seam.

However there were a few spots that needed re-alignment and your method has helped here, so thats great. You are exactly right about the rolled edge to the sides; it would have looked much better as you said. I may correct it after some time but she'll be here soon, so not just yet.

I was reasonably pleased with the felt stuff; I got it for peanuts as part of a job lot. Do you know where I can get more for a reasonable price?

Thanks Percy

Neil

+1 for Mr Percysnodgrass - that's the way forward. =D> =D>

Do a Google for Adhesive Felt - plenty of suppliers online

HTH

Dave

Back