A lesson in complex multi angle mitre joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
IMG_0324.jpg
Was clearing out the outdoor kitchen building I built today, ready for the BBQ season. Since then a storm has arrived :shock:

I looked up to admire my amazing handiwork at cutting bl**dy rafters.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
I can actually do it right as well. But once the roof is up, especially with a hanging post, you are stuck with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
Green oak is not always as straight as the stuff I have in my other thread. These are much smaller timbers (just a BBQ really with cedar shingled roof). I will have to make a decorative plate to hide this bodge up.

I blame the ruler.

I'm sure we've all got a few of those sorts of things hidden away.

I designate that sort of thing as either a prototype, or if it is a real dog's breakfast, a proof of concept.

Strange the stuff that triggers memories;
back in the late 60's when all I was interested in was women and motorcycles (not necessarily in that order), My dad came back from the pub one night and tried to explain to me how to calculate the angles of that kind of end of building rafter joint (dad loved to talk when he was oiled).
I couldnt make head nor tail of it then, and as you are all aware, I still struggle with basic maths to this day.

He was an architectural ironworker, used to make those kind of rooves on big buiildings. I think I failed him that night :roll: :roll:

Back