A 'leftovers' bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah Tony - turns out it isn't (a dirty all rounder). I used that as an excuse to make it, but it's too nice now. So I'll just have to make a dirty bench next (but might run out of space).
Time to move house I suspect. (For house read workshop.) Truth was I needed to make one leg vice, in order to experiment with the basic design... the rest was all a lie :)

condeesteso":2dg7yfy7 said:
Ah Tony - turns out it isn't (a dirty all rounder). I used that as an excuse to make it, but it's too nice now......................................... the rest was all a lie :)

That's the first step to recovery Douglas! :mrgreen:

My name's Douglas...and I'm a Benchaholic!! :mrgreen:

Man...that is one HUGE slope...or is it vise! :oops:

Coat?

Yup....coat time...... :mrgreen:

Jim

3rd attempt (hammer) input all copy, images, submit...logged out, wiped. I know I should prep it off-site then paste, but really... this is not my connection. It's a server-side issue for sure.

Yes Jim, I have a bench fascination as you know. Fact is this one was really all about the leg vice - I needed to make and tune one. The rest is just a bench to hang a leg vice off. I am so interested in the leg-vice that I will do a separate thread on that topic.

Anyway... before I get logged out again - today was top on, end board fitted, leg vice final fit including a thick leather face (supreme grip, no marring), and the sliding deadman which just needs the dog holes.
(If you are interested the pics get bigger if you click on them: 1200 x 900px I did):

One day I will invest in some decent clamps! Strange I will buy Lie planes etc, but am very mean when it comes to clamps
b4-1.jpg

The leg vice is working nicely (a bit tight yet but will free up with use):
b4-2.jpg

Face vice is only 8 1/2" wide - but no point making it wider.
b4-3.jpg

End board is bolted, to allow possible movement in the top (which I don't expect). It will have a beech face over where the Record goes
b4-4.jpg

And a handy trick for the deadman - using 2" stock so it will take holdfasts and is generally very solid, just take some depth off the back edge so it clears as it goes in and out.
b4-5.jpg

NEXT: unclamp, flatten top, fit the Record tail-vice, a few details... then have a serious tidy-up!

Attachments

• b4-1.jpg
    b4-1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 67
  • b4-2.jpg
    b4-2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 67
  • b4-3.jpg
    b4-3.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 67
  • b4-4.jpg
    b4-4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 67
  • b4-5.jpg
    b4-5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 67
Makes it sound so easy :p

Looks good, although perhaps a tad elaborate for a leg vise tester :) was going to ask what the rows of holes were for in the lower part of the leg vise but I'm guessing their to take pins to secure the lower part of the vise.

That's it Skills - I have a burnisher that will be used as the pin - leg vices are quite basic - you adjust the range by moving the pin to a different hole. But in practice they have some lattitude so the first or second hole would do most of what I ever need.
A leg vice with a bench hanging off it... OK so I got carried away :oops:

Hi Douglas....I think this week on one of my three (yes THREE!) days off I will come over to you because I need to work out what is in this picture:

file.php

I am completely confused about the V shape on the right of the jaw!

Jim

Ah yes, it's an olive oily streak through the board, comes through the front lower down. It does look odd, but I like the more marked pieces. The back laminate on the top (oak) has a cracking big knot in it... looks great.

condeesteso":1606c7eg said:
Ah yes, it's an olive oily streak through the board, comes through the front lower down. It does look odd, but I like the more marked pieces. The back laminate on the top (oak) has a cracking big knot in it... looks great.

How very strange...never seen a streak like that before...wonderful!

Jim

here we are then:
b5-1.jpg

Beech end-stop in Record - do we all do that? Use it a lot:
b5-2.jpg

Leg vice beginning to become smooth. The sliding deadman moves very nicely... imagine a big door, 2 hands holding that, right foot moves deadman to where you want it, still got your left knee to close the leg-vice. Not all at once cos you fall over then.
b5-3.jpg

Attachments

• b5-1.jpg
    b5-1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 56
  • b5-2.jpg
    b5-2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 56
  • b5-3.jpg
    b5-3.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 56
For those of you who have visited our friend Douglas' workshop will know they are always welcomed with something special to chat about over excellent coffee and biscuits (provided by his dear lady wife!)

Today was no exception. The "leftovers" bench is just beautiful in every way.

From the choice of woods, the meticulous attention to detail, the tiny accents all gel together to make a workbench which would rival most top-notch master craftsman made versions!

There is no way this is an "assembly table" nor is it a "support for leg-vise beta testing!" This is a fully-fledge, perfectly proportioned piece of art.

As for the leg-vise, well you can see the research that has gone into making this particular modern version work....to make it practical and very useful. The clamping pressure is astounding...almost magical and the position is ideal to clamp even the largest board or door without obstruction. Once again...the second iteration of the sliding deadman is perfect...indeed the feel may even better the Mk1 version on the bigger Daddy bench made earlier.

Those of our brethren wishing to make the ideal platform to whittle away the hours on...and there are a few threads on this subject this week, would well be advised to take their ideas from this "leftovers" model....it's ideal for almost every application I can think of.

It may seem that I am exaggerating in this post...but if anything I am trying to be understated...the real thing is simply stunning in every respect...a true WOW when you walk through the door!

Bravo indeed mate....a superb job well engineered and executed!

=D> =D> =D>

Jim

It does look like a superb bit of kit, however the burnisher needs to be replaced with something bespoke - tis only fitting for something thats otherwise hand made.

Indeed Skills - but the whole idea was leftovers, and I still get to use the burnisher anyway. Needs a new handle so I'll get on the lathe soon... stand very well back y'all.

(Thanks Jim, I like it but it's encouraging when others do too.)

Back