A Large Wooden Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
This plane is 22" long and has no maker's mark. The iron is 2 1/2" wide is marked: Colquhoun & Cadman, C &C, Go Ahead, Cast Steel, Sheffield. I'd be interested to know how old the plane may be. The handle suits a rather small hand so I wonder if the maker was an apprentice. The screw that holds the iron to the chip breaker has a very worn head so I made a new one.

Attachments

• IMG_0471C.JPG
    IMG_0471C.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,262
  • IMG_0472C.jpg
    IMG_0472C.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1,262
It's a perfectly ordinary and common plane as made all through the nineteenth and early twentieth century. Some would call it a fore plane; others a try plane; others a (short) jointer - there is no consistency in naming.

Colquohon & Cadman were in business from 1881 to 1900.

The handle is unlikely to be small; have another go but only put three fingers through, leaving your index finger pointing forwards, like you would do with a saw.

The thumb plane on top will be worth more; good useful wooden bench planes often go unsold on eBay and can be had for only a quid or two elsewhere.

Time I got some glasses I guess. I had to expand the pic to even make out what thumb plane Andy was talking about. That said , Andy is right , as usual. Looks like a fun user as to my mind a woody sliding over wood is both sounding and feeling the best you can in a shop.

Thanks for your replies, guys. I plan to use the big plane rather than selling it. The little plane is curved underneath and I use it for violin making.

Back