A jigsaw that cuts vertically?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I own a Bosch jigsaw that is quite good until I want to cut through 40mm material, whereupon the blade wanders and I get a sloping cut. I also own a Makita jigsaw that is very good until I want to cut through 40mm material, whereupon the blade wanders and I get a sloping cut.
Is there such a thing as a jigsaw that is capable of a vertical cut?
I know that basically the fault is with the blade wandering, maybe trying to find the path of least resistance, still, it sounds like an interesting project for a power tool manufacturer
John

john 40 m/m is a lot to ask from a jigsaw can you not use a circular saw first and then trim off with the jig saw ,ie if your cutting the sink insert in a worktop .

John it's not the jigsaw it's the blades i remember a thread on another forum on this very same subject but cant remember what blades were sugested :oops: . I know it was not your average bosch/makita blades. i find downward cutting blades work well for me on thicker material or i just use a router if i want a super cut

Agree - I too have seen blades that cut straight, but can't remember the source. Sorry - but at least you know you don't have to fork out for another saw. The Bosch and Makita are fine - just try to source these special blades.... :roll:

John,
I use the festool body grip which is probobly about the best for vertical cuts because of its deep blade support but it can still cut off vertical if you start to get tired or you are using slightly blunt blades.

Lennox blades are pretty good i used them for a few years, they are great in kitchens for example cutting out hobs and sinks you almost always hit off the metal dowels holding the carcass together(unless you remember to take them out first) these blades just sail through them and carry on cutting. But for vertical cuts the festool blades gave me far better results.

regards
Ian

I can recommend the Progressor jigsaw blades for worktops. They are about £13 for 5 but they will sail through any stray nails too and they are worth the money in my view.

Back