a humble egg cup...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Jumps tuned some gouges for me and returned them today, then showed me how to form a hollow. Here's the first attempt. Skew for external except the hollow bit (cove is it?), and the gouge for internal with a bit of scraper thrown in. Nothing to get excited about, but we're making slow progress. At least I now turn to a skew with some confidence. And grandson gets an egg cup. (It's ash, again... cellulose wipe-on, touch of beeswax.)
eggcup.jpg

Attachments

• eggcup.jpg
    eggcup.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,743
given that you had only aimed a spindle gouge at that face of the wood a few hours earlier, for the first time; well done.

now, do you have enough ash for a set? :)

You did well on the thickness of the bowl, did you managed to keep a similar thickness down the sides, even if you did not quite manage that, the presentation of a thin rim gives an appearance of lightness to the piece.

Personally whenever I look at a 'user' piece of turning I mentally compare the piece to whichever form I prefer regardless of medium. Fine porcelain being visually preferable to my eyes than chunky pottery and thin wine glasses as opposed to heavy molded goblets (even if the are so called cut glass crystal) so your piece hits the spot for me.

Thanks all... it was really just a first 'crack'. I confess the wall thickens deeper in, though not a great deal. I also expect the rim may break out under the weight of said egg... it's too thin maybe. And Marcros - I'm bored with straight lines, the next bench is going to be ROUND, based loosely on a lazy Susan. It seemed to work for Arthur (the round, not the Susan... as we all know his pal was Guinevere, and she was not lazy). I digress again.

Back