A Hinge Query

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Busy with sketchup atm!

I am designing a mini/foldable router table:

mini-rout.jpg

My question is how to make the legs foldable? I have considered ordinary butt hinges. But won't this mean the legs will not fold flat?

Anyone suggest an alternative clever method to make the legs fold?

Wizer

I don't understand why using butt hinges means they won't fold flat. I would have thought your challenge here is STOPPING them folding flat (when you don't want them to!).

Cheers
Steve

Steve I guess I was just being fussy, would there not be a, albeit tiny, gap between the hinge leg and tabletop at the henge end?

Keeping it from collapsing in is the next conundrum!

Wizer,

To keep the legs up why not try a batten that slots into a notch in each foot? A loose stretcher type thing.

WiZeR said:
would there not be a, albeit tiny, gap between the hinge leg and tabletop at the hinge end?

quote]

That rather depends on how accurately you recess your hinges. You run the risk, of course, of making them hinge-bound.

Losse stretcher sounds a good idea to me.
( Not too loose, of course!)

Cheers
Steve

thanks, I just wondered if there might be some other type of hinge/system I was missing.

The loose stretcher crossed my mind. Seems the simplest solution

Thanks Jason.. this looks ideal, if a little pricey. :wink:

Latest design revision if anyone is interested. Incorporates Jasonb's hinge suggestion (haven't drawn them, not that good yet). Had to use a bigger top to make it all fit right.

mini-rout2.jpg

Back