A hillbilly Thankyou

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Just like to say how much I enjoy this forum , the people and a view from a different sort of perspective. i do have one question. Since ya'll don't speak kerrect "english" :D Where would a guy get a book on the "kings english" ? for the few things I can't figure out. :D

Thanks

If you can smile when things go wrong, you must have someone in mind to blame

Probably easier just to ask when something isn't clear... Most people'd be happy to help out. (I'll just stroll outside to the pavement, put my rebate planes in the boot of the car, use a rubber to clean any marks off the window, ect etc :lol: )

er, Slim, the "king" turned into a queen a wee while ago! :wink: :lol:

Hi Slim,

I'm with Shady - just keep on asking if you don't understand what we're on about.
I reckon you'll have cracked it in about a fortnight! :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Trev.

Slim
To really confuse you, over here a 'y'all' (yawl) is a boat!
Give my regards to Signal Mountain!
Good to have you on the forum
Martin

Signal Mountain is about 50 miles (80KM) from me. Go by there every time I get hardwood.

Now about girl friends. Are the English. (Don't know what you call your conglomeration of countries over there . I'm Irish :) ) like the french (hope I'm not cussin here) I'm just askin ALF. Your probably gorgeous. Got a Brit friend (that was trained through the system somewhere in London) but never talked to him about the women :)
We do have one thing in common with you sort of. We drink our moonshine warm sometimes :lol:
Oh yea, do they still have the "Fat Ladies" on over there? Use to watch it here. Great cooking show.

For those who fought "Freedom" has a meaning the protected will never know. Happy D Day[/quote]

SlimShavings":pn3b067p said:
Oh yea, do they still have the "Fat Ladies" on over there? Use to watch it here. Great cooking show.
[/quote]

The 2 Fat Ladies cooking show ended after the 2nd series because Jeniffer sadly died. Clarrisa went on to make other shows.

to Slim shavings

A little education perhaps:

We have Irish; coleens.
Scotch; lassies
English; maidens
Welsh: dragons?
Cornish ????? (better ask alf)

Thats about it :roll:

devonwoody":1kikpmce said:
We have Irish; coleens.
Scotch; lassies
English; maidens
Welsh: dragons?
Cornish ????? (better ask alf)

Me? An English maiden? Don't make me laugh :lol: :oops: :roll: .

Gill

Coleens? That word went out of use about 1610 or so. We just call them weemin, babes, yocks (also used for various types of agricultural machinery), etc

Noel

noel will the little lady read this forum ?
i can just see her now saying who are you calling a YOCK :twisted: :twisted: make sure all your sharp and heavy blunt tools are locked away (hammer) (hammer)

Gill:
"Me? An English maiden? Don't make me laugh "

Here in Devon, all girls are still maids. My wife, who's age is a State Secret, but she was born in 1940, was called a maid the other day by a friend (mind you, he is pushing 75 himself)

John

an here's me thinkin that lassie was a dawg too..... sheesh.... mind you... there's times when there's nae that much t' choose between 'em... Ahem..

Talk like that will get ya throwed in the slammer here in the "colonies"
Ya'll be racist ,sexist pigs :lol:
Keep it up :lol: its good to see somdbody not be so serious for a change
Is GIL a lady too??

Hello SlimShavings
You could try the Concise Oxford dictionary instead of the American Websters.
I learned a number of American words in it as Oxford tends to include 'other countires' English as well as English English.
A dado in English is
1 the lower part of the wall of a room when visually distinct from the upper part.
2 the plinth of a column.
3 the cube of a pedestal between the base and the cornice.
whereas in American a dado is what we call a trench or a housing.
A rabbet in English is called a rebate and not the antiquated word used in America.
To get water we turn a tap not a faucet.
Winston Churchill was right when he said that Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language. :lol:
We have an advantage because of all the American made films (movies) and television programmes we see which would be incomprehensible unless we learned what many of the words used actually mean.

slim gill is definitely ,a female of the opposite sex a women a girl and yes a lady :D

Back