A hillbilly Thankyou

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alf":1f3ez212 said:
But not, apparently, a maiden... :lol:
This may also need translating because cricket is not played in the States and they are unlikely to know the meaning of bowling a maiden over. :wink: :twisted:

Thanks guys :oops: .

Next time I'll try to avoid writing the first comment that comes into my head.

On second thoughts......

Naaahhhhh... It's more fun living dangerously :D !

Gill

I think I would like to faces to all of you. Is there a gallery on here where you all are.
Over hear a maiden is someone who hasn't . And thats all I'm going to say about that.
I think what i like about this forum is you all still have a sense of history and "carrying on" the traditions. And a sense of quality. And after todays foray into the work world, we are rapidly losing what little we have left.
fortunately we have a couple of Forums over hear trying to keep it alive. There seems to be no romance in ours only dollar bills. Its almost a suprise if you find anybody with anything thats 5 years or older that was actually part of the family

Hi Slim

For our sins, we actually have a Rogues Gallery here. If you're feeling brave you could always ask CHJ (Chas) to include one of your own piccies.

Gill

slim i wish i could bowl a maiden over ,but knowing my luck i would just get a slap round the err,owle :cry:

frank":bq996339 said:
slim i wish i could bowl a maiden over ,but knowing my luck i would just get a slap round the err,owle :cry:

Frank, I suppose they scored 36 runs off your over by the sound of it. :lol:

That should confuse Slim?

Cricket Definition

One team is in, the other team is out. The team that's out tries to get the team that's in out. When the team that's in is out, the team that was out is in, and the team that was in but is now out tries to get the team that was out but is now in out.

When the team that was in but then out gets the team that was out but then in out, the team that was in but then out goes back in again, and the team that was out but then in before the team that was in then out got them out is out and tries to get the team that is now back in out. Then they go back in.

When the team that is now in is out, it tries to get the team that was then out but is now in.

And whoever gets most runs wins.

Dewy":2v4mq4ww said:
.....because cricket is not played in the States and they are unlikely to know the meaning of bowling a maiden over. :wink: :twisted:

I think the United States of America Cricket Association (www.usaca.org)may disagree:-

"Cricket is being played in the United States for several decades.

The USA is approximately the size of Europe and comprises of fifty states. Cricket is being played in all fifty states with the major cricket centers being New York, New Jersey, California, Florida, Chicago and Texas.

Currently there are 29 established leagues, 500 clubs and over 10,000 players. A national youth program was recently established.

The softball version of cricket has being growing in popularity mainly in New York and Florida. There are more than 100 softball teams in New York.

Cricket is being played mainly in public parks. There are approximately 200 wickets, most are matting wickets, a few are astro-turf and Southern California has 4 natural turf wickets.

Cricket is still very much an amateur sport in the United States and is being played on weekends only.

Throughout the United States there are several certified coaches, qualified umpires and many ex-national and test cricketers".

Also from a Guardian article some time back
"The first ever international game (in any sport) was played by the United States and Canada at the St. George's Cricket Club in Manhattan in 1844. Cricket wasn't an American sport - cricket was the American sport"

The article also goes on to assert that without cricket America would not have existed - if anyone is interested the article is here http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/com ... 11,00.html

We are not going off topic are we? :lol:

Andy

Alternative description:

The Australians whack the ball to all parts of the ground for three days.
The English take turns to walk between the crease and the pavillion for three hours.
The Australians win.
Repeat three times until The Oval.

I do hope I'm wrong...

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Off topic? I think it's all off topic isn't it? Should we move it, d'you think? :-k

Oh c'mon, it's unlikely they'll be walking very fast, is it? They'll be knackered from running around in the field for the previous three days. :roll:

For southerners thats what we get in the neck,back or other body joint. As In "I got a bad Crick in the neck". But really we have a description of a sport called baseball (which I never watch) It was by Abott & Costello called "Who's on first"
And work has moved into the speed lane so it looks like it'll be a while before I do any translating. Ive managed to aquire several commisions and may not lose the house after all :lol: I will be trying to translate some Queen Anne and Chippendale though.

Latest posts

Back