A hard wearing finnish for Oak veneer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weasel Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm now to this section of the forum so go easy on me :D

I am building a big boxy table with most sides being covered in oak veneer. I would like a good hard wearing satin<gloss finish that does not colour the wood too much. it needs to be something that wont need retouching. I just want to apply it then let age do its thing. I have used a few finishes for my wood turning such as tung oil and waxes but I'm not sure if they are appropriate for my needs. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you tried Osmo wax? It goes on with a roller , very easy to apply comes gloss satin or matt and looks nice on oak. AG Woodcare are a good supplier of it.

Other alternatives are Liberon's Finishing Oil, or Smith & Rodger's Worktop Finish. Both give excellent protection and you'll be able to forget about any maintenance for many years.

I don't mean to be harsh on the Osmo (esp.as we stock it) but it really didn't stand up well to a household chemical test we carried out. We used ketchup, red wine, domestos, boiling water, 40% alcohol and the results were far better for Finishing Oil & Worktop Finish.

Hope this doesn't complicate matters.

Ian

Osmo Polyx Hardwax Oil Satin, haven't tested out their worktop oil, is there much difference? Their door oil appears to be a thinned down version of Polyx.

Ian

The worktop oil looks almost exactly the same buy it does perform very differently.

Simon

Takes longer to dry, it's application is similar but it is harder wearing. I'd be interested to do a comparison with the Smith and Roger's.

Simon

Back