A gruesome hand saw restoration...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does someone cause so much damage using a chop saw when cutting floorboards? I always thought of the chop saw as one of the safer power cutting tools.

Richard

From the injury I guess he has slipped with the hand holding the workpiece as he brought the blade down, hence the angle of the cut into his hand. Who knows why he was able to do that.

There was a previous case of a guy distracted at the wrong moment putting his whole forearm under and sawing it off ! The ambulance man said "It quickly became clear that we could transport Mr x and his arm to the ambulance separately". More drastic, but probably easier fixed that this nasty injury to so much delicate stuff.

Poor guy.
Just goes to show that every power tool needs 100% respect and attention. And PPE should always we used.

Including things as innocuous as orbital Sanders.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

An old boss of mine almost cut right through his left arm near the bicep with a chop saw, he'd gone past the bone and only the skin on the inside was left.

No idea how he did it - "I just slipped" he wouldn't elaborate.

He did get divorced shortly after though.

I have always thought of chop saws as being very dangerous. We are so many cuts with them often in quick succession and familiarity breeds complacency. I have not yet come near cutting myself with one but have fired bits of wood across the workshop, I have taken a lot more care since and usually clamp the wood.

I once came very close to a terrible chop saw accident.
My workmate told me to watch out for an offcut which made the saw jam but as I at the time wasn't accustomed to his foreign dialect I got distracted deciphering what he said and while I was distracted I instictively started removing the jammed piece of wood millimetres from the spinning blade. Fortunately he was less distracted and pulled my hand away from the blade.

A good lesson. There should be a health-and-safety approved multitasking limiter installed on every worker :oops:

HappyHacker":3r1hefyr said:
I have always thought of chop saws as being very dangerous. We are so many cuts with them often in quick succession and familiarity breeds complacency. I have not yet come near cutting myself with one but have fired bits of wood across the workshop, I have taken a lot more care since and usually clamp the wood.

I always, and probably wrongly, assess the risk by how close your body parts come near the blade or are exposed to flying debris when using. Table saw is higher because you are pushing your fingers towards the blade and there is a risk of kickback, push sticks mitigate this by increasing the distance and body position the kickback. Chop saws however have a shielded blade, you’re cutting away from fingers and there’s no reason to have your fingers in the danger zone. The exception is cutting too small pieces and cleaning up after trenching where I’ve seen people sliding the wood back and forward under the blade to clean up the bottom or cutting unsupported wood. I still can’t imagine how you could get your whole arm or hand under the blade though....

RichardG":1aijtfk1 said:
I still can’t imagine how you could get your whole arm or hand under the blade though....
I read about this a few days ago on BBC website. The poor guy said the saw had "curved teeth" and "simply would not cut in a straight line" I expect this is related. Horrible, yet lucky to get his hand saved.

Latest posts

Back