A Grand Day Out....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlt

Established Member
Reaction score
In the best spirit of Wallace and Gromit, I wanted to tell you about a recent visit to a very interesting place for anyone who's a bit "woodie". The tale starts with me and the Mrs on holiday last week in North Yorkshire (Wensleydale actuallly , hence the wallace and grommit bit). In a small town called Hawes we came across and interesting little place Gayles Mill, as it turned out this place was quite something.

Built in the late 1700's Gayles Mill is an Awkright design mill originally used for spinning cotton imported from America, however due to its inland location and poor access it quickly fell out of use as a cotton mill. In the later 1800's someone had the bright idea of converting it into a sawmill and it had been a working saw mill right up until the 1980's, all this time powered by nothing more than water. Origninally an overshot waterwheel provided the power, but this was replaced in the early 1900's with a fabulous gilkes water turbine which still powers the mill to this day. The mill closed as a business in the 1980's due to various reasons and a failing econonomy, thankfully it was picked up by the heritage conservation folks in the late 90's and was restored and re-opened in 2000. The mill is a visitor centre today and still contains a large quantity of line shaft machinery all powered by the 100yr old turbine as you'll see from my photos. The mill isn't in active use today although on the first sunday of each month they fire up the main saw and slab up some trees for fun, sadly I wasn't there on one of these demo days. They also run various courses which you can book onto and experience using some of the mills equipment whilst under instruction from the tutors.

Apologies for the quality of the photos, I only had my camera phone with me, but if this has given you a taste then I highly recommend a visit!

Tom.

DSC_0180 (Large).jpg

DSC_0182 (Large).jpg

DSC_0114 (Large).jpg

DSC_0148 (Large).jpg

DSC_0156 (Large).jpg

DSC_0159 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0180 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0180 (Large).jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0182 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0182 (Large).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0114 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0114 (Large).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0148 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0148 (Large).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0156 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0156 (Large).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0159 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0159 (Large).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 251
DSC_0168 (Large).jpg

DSC_0173 (Large).jpg

DSC_0174 (Large).jpg

DSC_0179 (Large).jpg

DSC_0176 (Large).jpg

DSC_0177 (Large).jpg

DSC_0169 (Large).jpg

DSC_0172 (Large).jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0168 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0168 (Large).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0173 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0173 (Large).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0174 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0174 (Large).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0176 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0176 (Large).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0177 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0177 (Large).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0169 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0169 (Large).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0179 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0179 (Large).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0172 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0172 (Large).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 245
I think I saw a program on this a few months ago. Forget the chaps name who presented it, but think he was a truck mechanic with a northern accent. Will try to dig out the name of the program. He helped do some servicing to the turbine. Fascinating bit of old technology. Surprised its not in use more. They opened the thing up for first time in Donkeys years and the majority of it was in perfect condition.

If it is the one near the Wensleydale factory, it was on the BBC2 show "Restoration" a few years ago and reached the final three (I think) for getting a big grant. The main problem was not the machinery but the mill race which needed major restoration after years of neglect.

I had heard it was back in action after the publicity from that show got people interested.

The Wensleydale factory is well worth a visit too!

Steve Maskery":3phhyqx0 said:
Does the bloke still alter the lathe speed by poking the belt with a nail on a stick?

Steve, he most certainly does! Who needs variable frequency drives eh? Lol.

The mill race giving up was one of the reasons for the mill closing back in the 80s, I think this was one of the major parts rebuilt with the lottery grants, today a bunch of new wood and some hefty stainless steel straps and ties holds the last 30yrds or so together, you can just about make this out in the second photo above.

Regards, Tom.

Bigdanny":3trem5tx said:
I think I saw a program on this a few months ago. Forget the chaps name who presented it, but think he was a truck mechanic with a northern accent. Will try to dig out the name of the program. He helped do some servicing to the turbine. Fascinating bit of old technology. Surprised its not in use more. They opened the thing up for first time in Donkeys years and the majority of it was in perfect condition.

Truck mechanic? Yes but also an amazing Isle of Man motorcycle racer.

Mick

MickCheese":3kxl7xev said:
Bigdanny":3kxl7xev said:

Truck mechanic? Yes but also an amazing Isle of Man motorcycle racer.

Mick

I was going to mention he's done the TT more than a few times - he also had a series kitting out a houseboat with items made using traditional skills and "make do" stuff, which was entertaining.

edit: I've watched several of these now, very interesting, thanks for the thread and pointing out the link on 4OD

Bigdanny":2dqfv0er said:
Truck mechanic! :shock: That was Guy Martin, one of our finest motorcycle road racers. =D>

Latest posts

Back