A good hardwood for practicing on?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
billw":1jvrraqz said:
sunnybob":1jvrraqz said:
I buy planks around 3 metres, x 5 cm x 20 cm.
Beech is roughly 15 quid.
Walnut is roughly 25 quid.
Bubinga can be 40 quid.

I really dont see the point of practising on wood that will behave nothing like the wood you actually want to use.

Where from?!
It wont help to know the name of the woodyard, :shock: :roll: Shipping is a puppy from Cyprus, but it was to give the idea of pricing for comparison. If a plank costs 30 quid but you get a dozen hours of hobby time from it, its a cheap hobby. 8) 8) I can make a plank of bubinga last 6 months =D> =D> =D>

Bubinga and walnut are rough as my face after three days without shaving. :lol:
But the beech is very clean and straight, seems to be sanded to something like 40 grit. Its labelled superior steamed beech.

I have a very large woodyard about 10 miles away. more types of wood than you can shake a stick at. I wander around and pick boards that have interesting grain, even if sometimes the end of the plank is so knotted and twisted its only fit for burning.

Must admit they arent best pleased with me wandering. The manager insisted I had an employee with me once. After 5 minutes of watching me sort through 30 planks he got bored and wandered off. =D> :lol:

Up till a few years ago, Cyprus had no flat pack stores of any description, so all furniture was made locally the old fashioned way.
This yard supplies many of the local furniture makers.
But we have had ikea for several years now so I am concerned that first the furniture makers will close, and then of course the woodyard will reduce its stock.
Already the second hand shops are overflowing with heavy furniture that is no longer in fashion. I'm making the most of it while I can. :roll: 8)

Latest posts

Back