A gift and a question?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just been given these two planes. They are in need of a little TLC but should clean up well.
Record05plane.jpg

Recordplane.jpg

My question is what is the second one? :?

It's a fibreboard plane, with an ordinary full-size block plane iron instead of its proper little razor blade.

There was a brief period when diy-ers loved nothing more than nailing sheets of fibreboard all over their houses. This was a soft board such as you would use for noticeboards. Fashion said it needed a neatly bevelled edge, and Record briefly responded with a choice of two planes IIRC, which could plane a neat straight or bevelled edge where you had roughly sawn it to size. They are quite common but not very valuable as they aren't much use. With that blade, you might be able to use it as a chamfer plane on proper wood.

Ah I see. I had no idea what it's use was and as it is set up it looks like the side of the blade would be digging into the wood. I imagine the correct blades for it would have been angled to the base?

mailee":2rdxzyle said:
Ah I see. I had no idea what it's use was and as it is set up it looks like the side of the blade would be digging into the wood. I imagine the correct blades for it would have been angled to the base?

Yes, and a picture makes it clearer - this is from http://www.recordhandplanes.com/production-periods.html which shows both models, introduced in 1955:

fiberboard_735_large.jpg

(This is the other model, but the picture is more helpful on this one.)

Yes that is much clearer Andy. I can now see how it's supposed to work. These planes are almost as old as I am as the jack plane is around a 1959 vintage too. At least I don't feel so old now. :lol:

I've bought a couple of the big brother fibreboard plane (Record's No.735), cheap. The handle and rods fit your No.3 and No.4. The screws fit your No.78/078/778 fence or depth stop. In the case of the No.735, the front knob doubles as a side handle for your T5. And the base is best consigned to your scrap metal bin. :shock: :D :D

The iron in yours will fit your 110/0110; 120/0120 or 220/0220 (as well as some others no doubt)

Cheers, Vann.

Back