A garden project for my better half.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fantastic!
What structural supports are you using for your decking?
Martin
The supports are steel concreted in deck supports from Amazon here although I welded on another 150mm of rebar steel with a cross piece on the bottom.

rest f the deck boards finally arrived in December, having been ordered in June.
fortunately December was mild so I was able to get them all down beers Christmas.

fence will be boarded on the deck side, with shelving built in. Then water feature and BBQ will be set up on the deck.

A2604E81-BDE8-4B94-9EE2-98D1E201D105.jpeg

Cheers. I wish those supports came with a large washer on the end or something. Just to add a bit more support in the concrete.

Is it not a massive faff getting them all level with one another? Not adjustable once concrete sets so you have one shot at getting them right I guess...

Cheers. I wish those supports came with a large washer on the end or something. Just to add a bit more support in the concrete.
That’s why I added a cross piece to the bottom, probably overkill, but they ain’t going up nor down now.
As for level, I make the holes, fix the brackets to the main span timbers in the correct places to drop in the holes. When the frame is offerde into place with the brackets attached, it is set perfectly level with bricks or blocks temporarily aligning it all. Then the concrete is poured and allowed to set. It then can’t be anything but level.

Work steady and methodically, there should be no need to put it in “roughly right” and have a need for adjustment to level it afterwards.

Those supports look like they could be a good low cost option for decking. I tried a few methods for decking and although they were really good they were expensive, so I'm still searching.
Martin

Those supports look like they could be a good low cost option for decking. I tried a few methods for decking and although they were really good they were expensive, so I'm still searching.
Martin
I’d definitely use them again. They’ll never rot like timber support posts, bolt to the joists with 50mm x 10mm hex head carriage screws, driven in with an impact driver, and don’t cost a fortune.

Yes, they are almost perfect.
I prefer the ease and speed of adjustable plastic plinths and also groundscrews, but your ones are a bit cheaper so it's just a case of choosing the right tool for the job for each application i.e. where do you want to land on the cost, quality, time compromise...
Martin

Latest posts

Back