A galoot's Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
I must say, this really was a Christmas to remember for this new member of the galoot-hood. My wife has gotten behind this hobby/passion/love of mine whole heartedly and for Christmas she filled my stockings with every item that was on my wish list.

To list the big items, she picked up the brass cabinet makers hammer and the flat and round bottomed spokeshaves from Lee Valley. From Lie Nielsen, she got me a rabbet block plane and a skew block plane. She even got Tom to sign the boxes for me :D

I spent a few hours this weekend playing with the new tools (toys) -- all of them were a joy to use and easy to set up. The LN's work very well together -- I used them to finish up a jewelry box that my wife and I were building together.

Contrary to Alf's feelings, I find the skew block plane rather attractive -- especially given the fact that I don't plan on leaving the stainless side plate attached. It is finicky to set up and I haven't gotten the hang of using the nicker but used for what it was designed to do -- cutting rabbets and trimming tenon cheeks -- it performs very very well. I was able to zip out some rabbets much quicker than I thought I would. I want to attach a secondary face to the fence because as it comes, it doesn't allow you to cut a very narrow (1/4") rabbet.

I'll comment more on the others after I've had more time to play with them.

ydb1md":ydf8uv7y said:
To list the big items, she picked up the brass cabinet makers hammer and the flat and round bottomed spokeshaves from Lee Valley. From Lie Nielsen, she got me a rabbet block plane and a skew block plane. She even got Tom to sign the boxes for me :D

Excellent Dave! What a result!

ybd1md":ydf8uv7y said:
It is finicky to set up and I haven't gotten the hang of using the nicker but used for what it was designed to do -- cutting rabbets and trimming tenon cheeks -- it performs very very well

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the nicker arrangement once you get a bit more bench time with it. I don't think that version is normally offered by stockists over here (although someone might correct me!).

Cheers

Scott":jgekf3y9 said:
ybd1md":jgekf3y9 said:
It is finicky to set up and I haven't gotten the hang of using the nicker but used for what it was designed to do -- cutting rabbets and trimming tenon cheeks -- it performs very very well

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the nicker arrangement once you get a bit more bench time with it. I don't think that version is normally offered by stockists over here (although someone might correct me!).

Cheers

Hi Scott,

I did a lot of looking at the nicker arrangement last night and it's my feeling that it's just too long. It appears to protrude 1/16 to 3/32 below the sole of the plane -- simply too long for what it's doing. When I get time, I'm going to sharpen it down to the point where it's about 1/32 below the sole. Also, when I was using the skew block, I was doing long grain and cross grain work. The nicker is meant to be used cross grain and would cause less drag in this orientation. When I was cutting a long grain rabbet, the nicker became a nuisance. I'll have to weigh the pros and cons of using vs not using it. If I don't use the nicker, it's easy enough use a marking knife every now and then to take care of the "whiskers" that are left behind. :)

Dave
Sounds like a great Christmas-nice haul! :D
Scott
Tilgear offer the 140 with the nickers. I know this because..........well you can guess the rest :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Do the nickers make the man or does the man make the nickers? :-k

I can never remember?

:lol:

Awwwww, and all I got for Christmas (tool-wise) was a cheap, blue Silverline router which I inten to use inverted in my router table only. It actually feels quite nice and soft even, but on a higher speed sounds as if it's winding down again ready to die of old age or something... :?

But it has a two year warranty - although it says three in the manual!?

ydb1md wrote:
Hi Scott,

I did a lot of looking at the nicker arrangement last night and it's my feeling that it's just too long. It appears to protrude 1/16 to 3/32 below the sole of the plane -- simply too long for what it's doing. When I get time, I'm going to sharpen it down to the point where it's about 1/32 below the sole. .....

I really don't understand why those three pointed nickers continued to be in use for so many decades, like on the #78 rebate, and even on the glorious #405 multi-plane. The first thing you have to do is file them down until they are barely there, and after a couple more sharpenings it's onto the next point. No wonder they give you three. Most of the old instructions simply tell you to "sharpen before use". The adjustable nickers on the LN #10 1/4 and the plastic handled Record 50C are a much better design and surely could have been developed for the #140.

I really don't understand why those three pointed nickers continued to be in use for so many decades, like on the #78 rebate

Now now, don't get your nickers in a twist. :lol:

Matt.

Jarviser":xcp5jhfk said:
Cheers matt!

That signature has been bugging me, but I just worked it out chuck! :lol: :lol:

Took me a while as well. Frowned until I got halfway through then realisation dawned. Dohh!

Cheers,

Simon

Back