A first for me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this commission is a first for me, a set of stairs. :D I have made steps and ladders before but never a 'real' set of stairs. After doing a lot of reading and getting advice on how to I made a start on these for my landlord. After a lot of mathematics and a lot more head scratching I got the stringers marked out.
DSCN3066.jpg

I then transferred the marks to the other side.
DSCN3068.jpg

Then using my home made jig I routed them all out.
DSCN3069.jpg

Next it was the easy job of cutting out all the treads and risers, rebating them and putting the bull nose on.
DSCN3070.jpg

Tomorrow I will start to assemble them and prey I have got it right. :lol:

Looking good. Just watch when you bang the wedges in nusing plenty glue, that the stringers don't go off the square. They can go off slightly so leaving the top step slightly skew. An old boy told me they used to jamb the stringers against the workshop roof before wedging. Not much use if you are in a modern shed. A spare of hands can be helpful. Will see the finished job soon. Next stage does it. Used to be Parana Pine. Best wishes.

Thanks for the info Twothumbs. I got stuck in today and cut out the wedges ready for assembly. I made a quick jig to cut them on the table saw as my band saw now needs a new blade.
DSCN3071.jpg

I cut a few more than needed just in case of mistakes.
DSCN3072.jpg

Then it was on to a dry fit with the assistance of my neighbour.
DSCN3073.jpg

Glad to say everything went together well and all the joints were nice and tight.
Satisfied at my attempt I stopped for some lunch before taking it apart and glueing it all.
Which in a way was lucky for my landlord or not as the case may be! he rushed into my shop asking how far I had got? he then
announced that he couldn't fit it due to it being a listed building and the powers that be want the old one repairing! :shock: Well to say that the old one is unserviceable is an understatement as it is completely cream crackered! :roll: So he has asked me to put it on hold for the time being and I am happy to say he has paid me for the work I have done so far. :clap: so it now sits in the corner of my shop in kit form. :roll:

So you dint glue the wedges then ? :lol: just (hammer) them in, glad to know you got paid for it, maybe you can charge your land lord rent for the space they are takeing up in your workshop :D

Back