A few rustic items - easy to make

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
During a wonder around our local woodland last year I picked up a number of cut down branches and lumps of birch. I've had them drying out in the workshop since then and I have just started to make some fairly simple items. I am doing some charity fund raising craft fairs again this year and wanted to make some items that cost nothing in materials and if I could recycle then all the better.

Here's a few I've done on saturday...

I managed to work out the angles for the 'Balancing Wine Bottle Holder'. This was made from a 2.5 inch thick birch branch. I have another 4 branches to go at now I've mastered the angles.

2012-04-09%252016.00.41.jpg

2012-04-09%252016.00.09.jpg

2012-04-09%252015.59.57.jpg

This table centre piece was mad from a split trunk of birch I picked up. All I've done is smooth it out and remove all the sharp bits (splinters etc) and drill the holes for the candles...

2012-04-09%252015.57.40.jpg

2012-04-09%252015.58.00.jpg

2012-04-09%252015.57.28.jpg

This one is based on the same idea but is a bit cleaner looking...

2012-04-09%252015.58.33.jpg

2012-04-09%252015.58.46.jpg

Nice,

BUT,

You really really want inserts for them t-lights, what you have build there is a bomb.....

loz":170c3vaa said:
Nice,

BUT,

You really really want inserts for them t-lights, what you have build there is a bomb.....

what are inserts? can you elaborate a bit

thanks Blurk, I'll sort that out.

so apart from me making an explosive device ... :D

Apart from the Bomb - I like them,

I'd love to know more about the angles involved in the magic bottle holder !!!!

What is the risk factor of the 'bomb' then because I've been trawling google looking for ideas for t-light holders etc and most of the professional made items do not have glass inserts...

41DPW-KgtCL._SS500_.jpg

if you google t-lights wood you can see thousands of wood items without glass inserts. So I'm confusued

T-Lights can get very very hot, if not held in a holder that heat is being transfer directly to the wood ( i use the very cheep ikea ones ) ,

and Birch - being one of the best tinders around,..................... ( watch any ray mears episode ! )

of course I'll have to tell the missus I need to buy a new forstner bit to put the hole in. :wink:

silly as it sounds, but do you need to put a warning about the use of candles on the item- a simple sticker/label. I know that you do when you are selling candles, not sure on the rules for candle holders.

I make tea light holders but supply them with hand made soya tea lights which come in a plastic clear cup and not the metal ones. They look better and the plastic never gets hot. Never handled a metal cup once hot but I would have thought if its an issue the plastic would melt before the metal cups.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handmade-Tea-Li ... 398&sr=8-8 See the plastic cups.

The only reg I know of regarding inserts and candles is them for stick candles and these are only metal, yes thicker then the tea light metal cup but that means it will retain heat for longer even though it will take longer to get to the same heat. If you are doing these for others/to sell you do need to supply a "care sheet" of some sort and state that they should never leave a lit candle unattended and only use a tea light that has a cup.

Hudson Carpentry":1hq3pgn4 said:
Never handled a metal cup once hot but I would have thought if its an issue the plastic would melt before the metal cups.

The heat conduction is the problem not the melting point of the holder.

I don't recon there is enough power from the hot candle wax to burn the solid wood, maybe char it over years of use, however, I'd still fit inserts, just to be safe.

Aidan

Back