a few questions on planes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
evening all,
im sure that you will be able to help me on this one,
im in the market for a new hand plane,
now its going to soley be used for smoothing, so obviously im after a smoother, something like a 4 or 4.5
but im wondering about the bevel up planes, im more or less decided on the veritas range of planes, but im undecided as to which one
i have heard great things bout the LV LA smoother, and with it the high angle blade, but i have also been looking at the LVLA Jack plane, obviously it will cope with smoothing, but will it excell?
the other option is of course a standard 4 or 4.5!
the first project will be a tool box to house it in along with my other finer tools, and then secondly a small box for my mums birthday coming up soon, these will be made from oak, if this is of any use...
please advise me which will be the best one to go for!!

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

You don't mention if and or which planes you currently have...So take this for what it's worth :?

If you already have a #4/4.5 then I would purchase the LV LA jack. It's a wonderful plane and with both blades (reg and HA) it will level and smooth most anything.

If you already have a jack and say a #4, you can't go wrong with the LV 4.5 or the Clifton 4.5.

Or, with a bit of fettling and Anant (with a replacement Clifton/LN/LV blade) AND the LV LA jack with the HA blade...or...

Lot's of options.

Hope this was helpful.

Matt

I will probably be on my own here as the trend seems to be for LA smoothers

But, having owned a LN LA smoother for 9 months and a LN 4.5 for over a year and using both most weeks, I would say that the 4.5 is my preference for smoothing 9 times out of 10.

I mainly use the LA smoother on the shooting board and rarely on a flat board as the 4.5 out-performs it by a large margin most times - it is easier to use with it's mass helping to keep it moving across the board and takes wider shavings, thus, less passes are needed. Also, the LA occasionally tears the grain on some woods.

However, the LA is much better against the grain and so I use it on 'difficult' woods with reversing grain, and on end grain

well currently i only have a LN 103 and then a bedrock 607,
so im after something in the middle, specifically for smoothing,
i do have a #4 but that jus gets used for site work as and where it is needed!
so ultimately im jus after the best value for money smoothing plane
but im sure thats easier asked than answered

cheers

Hi MAttmore
I'll throw in my 2¢ here and say you might want to wait for the LA heavy smoother. It will be of similar design to the LA jack, which I think it simply amazing, but it'll be shorter and apparently have a weight comparable to a 4.5. I'd definitely hold out for it. AS to LA planes doing smoothing work, if you buy a high-angle blade (or order a high-angle blade when you order the plane, so it won't cost you more) it can perform at least as well as (if not better than) a bench plane for planing with the grain. I think that LV's bevel-up plane designs are superior to anything on the market, which I wouldn't say of their regular bench planes (not that they're so bad though). A problem I have with their LA smoother (the regular one that's been out for a few years) is that the lateral and depth adjustment knob sticks into my little finger when I hold the tote, more than just annoying it gives me blisters after 15 or 20 minutes planing, so you might want to try it out if you decide to go this route.
Just my 2¢ (1/2 p)
Frank

For what it's worth, any of the planes mentioned will give you good service. I have the LV LA Smoother, HA blades for it, LV LA Jack, HA blade for it, 2 - Stanley 4.5's and a Miller Falls 10. In one of the Stanley 4.5's, I've installed a LN blade and chip breaker.

So long as the sole is flat and the blade sharp, they all give good service. However, the bevel up planes can lift the grain rather than cut it on some woods like Ash. The HA blades take care of that problem.

IF there is a question of expense, I'd go with an antique 4.5 and the LN Blade and chip breaker to start with. Saying that, the LV LA Jack is the most versatile plane I own. With it and the HA blade I can smooth, joint and use a shooting board with one plane.

I have no association with any of the companies listed above. They have my money and I'm still smiling.

Tony":2w7fdk7y said:

But, having owned a LN LA smoother for 9 months and a LN 4.5 for over a year and using both most weeks, I would say that the 4.5 is my preference for smoothing 9 times out of 10.
Tony, for pity's sakes, get yourself a second blade for the bevel up and grind a higher angle on it. ](*,) I didn't believe the bevel up thing either, until I tried the higher angle blade - truly, you're missing out on a Good Thing.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2ki7axjk said:
Tony":2ki7axjk said:

Tony, for pity's sakes, get yourself a second blade for the bevel up and grind a higher angle on it. ](*,) I didn't believe the bevel up thing either, until I tried the higher angle blade - truly, you're missing out on a Good Thing.

Cheers, Alf

No need Alf, it's not that I don't believe it, it's that I have the 4.5 which has the extra mass I like and works as well as I could want :D

The bevel up is used every week (planed the HT box with it) as is the 4.5 :wink:

These days, the 4.5 takes top place in my planes over the rabbett :shock:

with antique planes, how well do those compare with todays equivalents,
with regards to say a bedrock 4.5, and a clifton or LN 4.5?
i dont know if anyone has done direct comparisons or not,
i can understand that its dpeendant on the blade and how flat the sole is etc etc
the money side of it isnt too much of an issue, as i only wanna buy one!!
so i would sooner spend more now, and have a plane thats going to perform aswell or better than the competition.

MattMoore":2yllf9hs said:
with antique planes, how well do those compare with todays equivalents,
with regards to say a bedrock 4.5, and a clifton or LN 4.5?

Hi Matt,

I have 3 #4.5s. One is an old bedrock another is a LN, standard frog. The old bedrock has a Hock replacement blade and chip breaker. Both perform equally as well if kept sharp. That said, the bedrock took some time to tune up where as the LN was about ready from the box.

I have an old Ohio #8 and a LN #8. I have a LN iron/chip breaker on the Ohio. Same issue as above concerning readiness, except the Ohio took much longer to tune than the bedrock.

I have a Sargent #6 and a LV #6--same issues...you get the picture.

MattMoore":2yllf9hs said:
the money side of it isnt too much of an issue, as i only wanna buy one!! so i would sooner spend more now

If the only issue is time, I will (almost) always choose the older tools. I like the tuning process. If that's not an enjoyable task for someone--and money isn't an issue--I would say purchase new.

Back