a few of my latest pieces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikNak

Established Member
Reaction score

A few pics of a group of items i made for a nieces birthday just the other day...

IMG_2714b.jpg

a couple of Zebrano 'T' lights

IMG_2729b.jpg

a small Zebrano Box........ and if you're very careful (and clever) all the grain lines up on the 'T' lights and box too, as the box was going to be (2 T lights) taller, but the other half wanted me to make a smaller box, so rather than waste the wood, i made a couple of extras....

IMG_2732b.jpg

Then i had a go at doing something a bit different.....

IMG_2739b.jpg

what on earth are they...?? I hear you asking......

well............

i saw some a few months ago and was so taken by them, i asked if they could be scanned and given to me so's i could play around a bit.....

IMG_2740b.jpg

pot stands..... for when you've got hot pots (or a casserole dish etc), with nowhere to plonk it down quick.

IMG_2741b.jpg

use them all together..... or as seen here, simply take one out and use it on its own..!! Brilliant....

Seen here made from Walnut. Measures (very) approx 170mm x 200mm x 18mm thick.

I'm going to have a 'play-around' with the image and see if i can tidy it up a bit, make it smaller & rounder, and try having a go at making coasters...... wot-d-ya-reckon...? I know its not strictly wood turning, but they do sort of turn in their own right... :lol:

Comments welcomed.......

Nick

I really like your Trivets, I thought they were too good to plonk hot pans on especially with being Walnut. I also liked your tea light holders in the Zebrano, I made quite a few last Christmas for my sons restaurant .
I was told they could be fire hazards as they could burn through the wood when they had burnt right down, so I put mine in the tea light glass dishes they were about 10p each in Ikea, I found you need a slight clearance when you fit them into the wood as they expand quite a bit and are then hard to get out .
Dave

Not a chance! I did think coaster or some form of puzzle, great design I might just borrow that!
Chris.

Love the box and tea lights Nick as for the Trivets seem to remind me of my digins but not quite as big :lol: :lol: Really nice and useful but I assume it's a bandsaw job or can it be done on a Lathe :twisted: :twisted: REgards Boysie

Nice T lights but love the Trivet though I have to agree it is perhaps too sculptural to hude under a pot. Is that a scroll saw job? Very effective however it's done. I can imagine that going down a treat as a present or at a craft sale,.

Pete

Love the trivet!
My brother has purloined a scroll saw so I'm going to ask him to have a go at one like that.
If you ever feel like posting the template on here...?

The zebrano pot is a very attractive piece too, takes me back to my pot-making days...must do some more!

In answer to a few of you... yes it was a bandsaw jobby, then finished off using my new (birthday pressie) tool... one of these...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Perf ... 803526.htm

had to send the first one back as it lasted about 30 seconds before the belt slipped and nearly burnt through the plastic guard...!! Oh... word of advice if anyone else is thinking of the same... i also bought 2 extra belts for it (to get free delivery...!), only to then find that for an extra 45p you can get a pack of 5 from Screwfix...!! not amused....

If anyone else would like to have a go at one of these and would like a copy of the scanned image that was given to me... just PM me with your email addy and i'll wing it on it's way.... (unless you can tell me of an easier way of doing it..??)

Thanks for the comments by the way....

Nick

Back