a few design ideas for a tool chest...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is some chest! I'll be interested to see what it finally goes for. There does not appear to be anything stunning in the way of tools - perhaps one of those gent's toolboxes that were popular (the de-luxe version!)

I remember seeing a chest going at a Pugh auction last year for a little under £2000. It had belonged to a craftsman who was either a toolmaker or a pattern maker (I can't recall which) and had a detailed biography to accompany it. Yet the actual chest was little more than a battered black-painted ottoman with trays in it and tools that most of us wouldn't give house space.

Somehow, I doubt the chest on eBay will go for the £900 that has currently been bid.

Gill

Interesting one. I wonder why he's so coy about the manufacturer? And 11 pairs of T&G irons?! What's going on there? :? I dunno, it bothers me a bit. A collector and yet he doesn't bother to list the majority of the maker's names on the tools? Obviously it's not complete either, and the drawer with the chisels shows they don't fit in the fitted dividers. I wonder if he's cherry picked the best and filled in with the bog standard stuff he wants to get shot of...? :?

I'm coming across as a terrible cynic, aren't I? Sorry. :oops: It does have some novel ideas for storage though, I must say.

Gill, I imagine, as with most old stuff, provenance is everything. Maybe the owner had worked on something particularly notable?

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back