A few carboot finds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancsteve1

Established Member
Reaction score
As stated by jim in his post autumn is approaching and the pickings are even thinner on the ground!, although over the Saturday and Sunday i manage a few more bargains.
What is it with coffin planes,i cannot resist them (do i need help?) plus a couple of decent moulding planes, one a Mathieson the other unmarked up to now.
I also bagged a little Record 040 Rebate Plane (depth stop missing can they be sourced or made?) and a few other items.

Forgot to include a small brace by J A Chapman of Sheffield, does anyone know how to dismantle jaws to clean?

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,618
  • IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,618
  • IMG_0901.JPG
    IMG_0901.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,619
Steve, I think these things start to appear at this time of year to give us something to do in the long, dark nights ahead.

Good finds and happy fettling.

Nice tools - lucky you!

The missing depth stop would not be hard to make from a couple of scraps of mild steel. You need a short rod (diameter to suit the hole) and a flat rectangular piece. File one end of the rod to a smaller diameter for a couple of mm, leaving a shoulder. Drill a hole in the flat bit of steel to match the thin end, countersink the far side of it. Put the rod through, peen it out to fill in the countersink, and file flat.

If the brace chuck is the common sort, you can just unscrew the outer shell to get at the works inside - do you have a picture of it?

Richard

You could be right , plenty to do in the shed now to keep me occuppied. But it keeps me out of mischief and the wife knows i am only at the bottom of the garden :)

Andy

I believe its a common brace and will post a pic soon, the depth stop will be another winters evening job .

Thanks guys

Andy

As far as i can tell it's just a common brace? Would i just unscrew the outer shell and give it a a clean?
Sorry for all the questions, i just do not want to wreck it in the process of trying to clean it.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 1,302
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1,303
This looks like an older type of chuck and I would be wary of unscrewing it completely in case springs and jaws ping out.
Unscrewed most of the way and oiled with 3 in 1 will work wonders but If it really does need cleaning I'd take it apart in a box or similar to confine any wayward bits.

In my experience, escaping springs are only a problem with three jaw chucks, designed for round drill bits. Your brace will almost certainly have a single pair of jaws which may have a simple wire spring or none at all.

There's a good guide to cleaning up a brace and bits on Alf's site here:

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/bracecleaning01.html

(Alf - if you are monitoring traffic to your site, or reading this, please start posting again - we miss you!)

AndyT":2p9ybx86 said:
(Alf - if you are monitoring traffic to your site, or reading this, please start posting again - we miss you!)
+1 :)

Latest posts

Back