a few bits for Christmas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radicalwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
dont generally do much turning but I have been having a go at a few bits for Christmas. The lathe is an old Harrison Jubilee.
well here goes.

IMGP4019.jpg

tea lights

IMGP3976.jpg

ear ring stand

CIMG7046.jpg

ginger jars larges 85 dia 150 tall

CIMG7044.jpg

mortar and pestle 150 x 120 block 120 high dish 10dia x 55 deep

Like the tea lights & ginger jars...but all great..
Was looking for a diagram showing a pestle and mortar
yours looks just right. wonder how it will hold up to a few
months of beating.
Nice work rad bet they will be well appreciated..
alex

Nice little collection there. I especially like the ginger jars. Also good to see someone making a decent pestle and mortar. Nice and solid.

Pete

Lovely.

Are those tool marks on the mortar or subtle decoration? What wood did you use for it?

cheers for the comments guys,

Wabbit I have to admit they are tool marks, its been back on the lathe since the picture for further sanding. The main block is Beech, turned on a ply face plate held on with double sided carpet tape spining at about 1450 rpm :twisted: :shock: was my first go at using tape to hold bits on with kept well out of the way when I first turned the lathe on.

The earring stand is an inspiration - looking to make something just like that.

But then so are the ginger jars - and the pestle & mortar - they're all very nice!

=D> =D>

Like both the shape and wood selection for the Jars, grain pattern fits in well with the proportions

thanks for the comments,
The wood on the jars is Olive Ash I got a length of 100 square x 2220 long from an auction 3 years ago, not had the courage to use it till now, paid about £25 for it. I have left the good bit on the rack :p for now as I do need to improve my hollowing and get something better than the bowl gouge I use at the mo.

cheers Neil

Back