A feast for the eyes!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought "The Workbench" by Lon Schleining - terrible mistake, I am now all fired up to make a new bench. It has some really great stuff.

Chris
How does it compare with the Landis book? I have the Fortune-Nelson bench from there, and am very pleased with it. But I also have the dreaded beetle, so I'm considering building another. Exact replica (but with dog-holes in rather more useful positions) unless I come across something better. What I would really like is enough space to have a bench where I can get round both sides. Dream on, Steve.

Cheers
Steve

Steve,

The two books inevitably overlap but with enough differences as to make having both desirable. I would hesitate to praise one above the other. but the newer book understandably has a few more modern touches than the Landis book.

Schleining's book is aimed squarely at the person who wants to build a bench rather than the more general interest writing that Landis contrives. The former deals with elements of the bench (top base, accessories etc) in a somewhat cafeteria style, enabling one to pick and choose according to need. There are no plans for complete benches and whilst benchmaking isn't that complicated, I think a beginner would have a hard time in a) deciding what he needed and b) making it, if his only reference were this book (not applicable in your case of course!)

The new book does cover prebuilt benches and tops which is quite useful for someone contemplating buying rather than building.

Alf, how did you guess :?: :lol:

Correction - there are plans of some benches and reasonable instructions too. It comes from trying to review a book I have only skimmed so far. :oops:

Back