A day with Rob Cosman

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed451

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I spent the day in the workshop of Rob Cosman. We started at 8:00 AM and finished about 9:00 PM, stopping for lunch and dinner. I found Rob to be a great teacher; I didn't expect there to be a white-board and marker in the shop, but it was there for Rob to draw diagrams and offer better explanations. We started the day with sharpening, all freehand, and progressed to cutting exercises with the dovetail saw, finishing with cutting practice dovetails. I never thought I'd be gluing dovetails together without a test-fit, but yessir, I did it! They fit, too! This is due to Rob's tutelage and careful preparation, during which time a small engineer's square is never far away.
What I must say I really like about Rob is the fact he never downgrades the student, he offers explanations and coaching, but never condescends which can often be a rare quality in an instructor. I won't name the price of this service, except to say I consider it expensive, but it was worth it.
When I returned to my motel room and spouse, she took one look at me and said "So you had a good day, eh?" I guess it was obvious.
I enjoyed my day so much that I'm saving up for the next time. I hope it's not too far off. Anyone that can would be well advised to take one of Rob's week-long workshops and if not, then a day with him as I did.

Ed :D :D

Sounds like a great time Ed,
I wish Rob gave courses in Montreal but he told me that he has trouble finding a good location. Where abouts did you take the course?

Ed
Sounds like a great time!
I have to make do with seeing him in action at the Axminster Tools show each year! :roll:
Maybe we could entice him over for a week??? Anyone interested?? :?:
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":1scpxph8 said:
Ed
Sounds like a great time!
I have to make do with seeing him in action at the Axminster Tools show each year! :roll:
Maybe we could entice him over for a week??? Anyone interested?? :?:
Cheers
Philly :D

Now theres a good idea. Perhaps a day though - probably all I could afford! Just need to persuade him to take his hols over here - and we're away!!

Adam

Yes, Frank, I had a great time. I took the course in his shop in Grand Bay, NB. He told me one time that the only places he can get enough shop space, with a workbench for every student, are Sheridan College in Ontario and at the SAIT college in Calgary.

Someday, I'll be good enough to sell something and get some $$ back from my investment. Hopefully. Maybe. Someday.

Ed :)

At the Axminster Tools show before the last one - he mentioned doing a course a day before or after the show the following year. That didn't transpire - but I'm sure if there's a few interested he would be too?
I'm interested but can only do the Sunday after the show or a day the following week :(.
Cheers
Gidon

Back