a couple of whatsits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
i do try my best to work out what the whatsits are but i never do very well, so please can some one decipher these two.

what i think is some kind of threading tool? but thats it.

P1010917.jpg

P1010919.jpg

P1010922.jpg

and then theres this :duno:

P1010923.jpg

P1010924.jpg

your guesses are as good as mine

adidat

Just a wild guess based on the needle/eye, I would say the top one is part of a loom....

The bottom one obviously locks a rope in place but why is beyond me...

Jim

How big is the top one?

Can you sit on the wider part? I wonder if it's a "3rd hand" sort of device for splicing/whipping.
The slidy bit of metal looks like it would trap cord in the 'eye' of the thing, whilst it was pushed through the lay of a rope.

The bottom one is easy - it's a stacking 4mm banana plug :)

Seriously, I wonder if it's something for smoothing out or setting a splice after you've made it. It would force the rope to bend four times through it, and it doesn't seem to have a cleaning function. The handles aren't strong enough or the right orientation for a Tyrolean traverse runner, and the clips aren't strong enough to take that sort of weight (and there's no obvious attachment point. It looks like it's pulled/pushed along a rope by hand.

I know serving mallets, sailmakers palms, etc., but if these things are related to rope/rigging work, I've never seen anything like them before, nor in the limited literature I have on the subject.

E.

Hi,

First tool it a rug making thing, second one looks like it could be used to straighten wire.

Pete

THe second whatsit - I've got one of these with more pulleys on.
I think it might be for straightening out brakes pipes. I got mine from a closing motor vehicle course at a college.
I only picked it up because it looked well-made, and I thought the pulleys might come in handy.

Don't kow what the first whatsit is though.

Have a look at my doofers (just posted)
Regards
John

Hi,

The second whatsit is to straighten Pyro cable the stuff used for outdoor wiring or fire alarms like thin copper tubing. The cable comes in big rolls and you clip the tool round the cable and pull along so you end up with nice straight runs. They come in two sizes and this looks like the smaller one.

Regards

Steve

Latest posts

Back