A couple of picture frames

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callum

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Thought I'd share 2 more picture frames I've finished, one this week, and the other a while ago now.

Both made from oak, the first is mortice and tenoned with some black walnut wedges. I made one like this before but without the wedges, and used the perspex and backing from the original frame the picture came in. The picture is supposed to represent the sound of one of our lasses favourite bands (Muse) and was a gift for her.

6.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

The second was my first go at a mitred and splined joint, and attempted a black walnut inlay. This one needed glass, backing and fixings so I ordered the glass from a local framing shop, and the rest from amazon/ebay. Probably spent far too much but it was needed, and who cares because it's still fun isn't it! This time it was to frame a cross-stitch that the mrs did for the baby's room.

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

10.jpeg

They are both far from perfect, but i'm still enjoying learning, and have developed a small tool hoard to keep going at it. Not the cheapest of hobbies but it is fun, and both the mrs and the baby seemed very happy when they received each frame :D

Also these are the finished easter decorations me and the young lad made.

1 (2).jpeg

And finally, we have our first ever guests staying at the casa del isolation which has lifted spirits :D

Attachments

• 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    744.1 KB · Views: 390
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 390
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    664.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    985.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 390
  • 1 (2).jpeg
    1 (2).jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 390
  • 1 (1).jpeg
    1 (1).jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 372
Very neat and tidy!
And much more personal than a mass produced frame.

Yes, very neat. And I like the contrasting wood colours. You like living dangerously though, with those wedged tenons so near to the end ? Did you leave a horn and saw it off after glue up, or just tap them in very carefully ?

Nice frames. Although making a picture frame sounds 'easy' it's one of the most difficult projects to get 'spot on' as you have to make each of the two pairs of the frame absolutely identical as any error then becomes magnified at the corners.
I've been doing my own framing now for a 'few' years and have just about got the hang of it; the latest thing I learnt was to use proper framers brown tape on the back to stop the little beasties getting in under the glass and even then it doesn't sometimes work! - Rob

Sheffield Tony":1zp4tuey said:
Yes, very neat. And I like the contrasting wood colours. You like living dangerously though, with those wedged tenons so near to the end ? Did you leave a horn and saw it off after glue up, or just tap them in very carefully ?

I very delicately tapped them in and trimmed off the excess. I figured it’s not structural or anything so didn’t need to be tapped in far.

woodbloke66":2uuznv8z said:
Nice frames. Although making a picture frame sounds 'easy' it's one of the most difficult projects to get 'spot on' as you have to make each of the two pairs of the frame absolutely identical as any error then becomes magnified at the corners.
I've been doing my own framing now for a 'few' years and have just about got the hang of it; the latest thing I learnt was to use proper framers brown tape on the back to stop the little beasties getting in under the glass and even then it doesn't sometimes work! - Rob

Yes it took me a while to get the mitres perfect and square, you really do have to get the lengths matching perfectly. Also struggled to hand cut the slots for the splines so they are well gappy. Think a router table would be very helpful, will try and sneak one in the garage :D I’ll have to get some of that tape because no doubt I’ll have another go!

Back