A couple o questions from a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judder

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening Folks,
Today I made my first purchase of Hardwood. Being a joiner, it was a new experience actually buying timber, and not taking white pine from the site.
Anyway the wood in question was a couple of boards of Cherry. Both are 7' x 12'' x 1'' completely from the tree ie with bark and very cupped and a bit bowed as they were kiln dried. They were £40 was this price ok ? and do I need to treat them with preservative or anything for worm ?
Lastly where do you buy your timber from as my local Timbmet supply to an account holder only. Am currently getting mine from a farm which cuts up fallen trees, but the supply is short. Thanks for listening to my rambles.

Stephen

You could try Patrick Baxter who is a furnitue maker, and he also sources local scottish hardwoods. His address is:- Girdwoodend Farm
Auchengray
Lanark
ML11 8LL Tel: 01501 785460.
I've always found him very helpful.

Judder,
best timber prices i've found are from Gilmour and Aitken who are located near Dumbarton tel 01389 752333 there prices are about the best i've come across, a good bit cheaper than Patrick. they carry vast quantities of hardwood.

Ian

Judder,

You should certainly strip the bark off and inspect for worm. The beetles love getting behind bark and doing their thing. If you find it, use Cuprinol to discourage it.

You will also, in all probability, have quite a bit of sapwood if you have much bark and that is where you will find most worm, if any. The price you paid sounds pretty good if the wood has a reasonable amount of heartwood - expect to pay around £60 per cubic foot for cherry.

Another place to try is Scottish Woods. They price their wood by the square foot and have a dressing and drying service.

Cheers,
Raymond

Thanks Fras and Ian, my wood was indeed from Patrick, I'll give G&A a try next time. Nothing wrong with Patrick, just his stock right now was'nt ideal for me and the roads around are horrendous. Ian, I don't suppose G&A sell veneered ply or mdf ?

Thanks again,

Stephen

Judder,
G&A dont sell veneered mdf but Thornbridge (Motherwell) do and Rembrant timber in Airdrie always have a good stock of it but its worth phoning before you head over 01236 750216.

Ian

Judder,

I was recently quoted the following by a large supplier in the Midlands...

2 lengths of rough sawn European Cherry 6' x 4" x 1", £57.

Sounds like you have a bargain to me.

cheers
Mitch

Seems I need to take the day off work as these places are not open at the weekends and Patrick does'nt have any oak just now. :(

Stephen

Sounds about average. Your price works out to about £34 cu. ft. I don't think many places would significantly beat that price. I've bought from Patrick before as well as Timbmet. (I've also gotten a fair amount of firewood from Patrick--I have to split it and dry it).

As far as Timbmet is concerned, you don't have to be an account holder. If you phone, ask to speak to "cash sales." If you phone in the morning, you can arrange to pick up in the afternoon. Minimum order is £50. The only problem with Timbmet is, you don't get to select the boards. You show up, and take what they've selected. I've only had a couple of bad boards of oak though.

Brad

judder":3s626yku said:
Thanks Brad, where is Timbmet exactly ? I've tried to find it before and failed. Maybe time to get sat nav.
Cheers,
Stephen
It is quite difficult to find. It's over by the Southern General; and the first time I went there I ended up in several parts of the maze of the Southern General. ](*,)

Here's a

map, if it's any help.

Brad

Back