A couple more "Can You Justs" completed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have had a really enjoyable week completing all those little "can you just" jobs for clients that had been waiting to be completed.

A couple of these were some oak doors for a built in cupboard in a customers house as well as an oak shelf to go above theire fireplace (The photo of the doors looks like there are planing "snipe" marks on the cock beaded boards but there wasn't they are a reflection of the flourescent light! Honest)

Doors1.jpg

And a laminated tray - the outer curved edge was American Walnut, laminated from three thin strips and formed round a caul rather than steaming - two sections were made then scarf jointed together before being mounted onto a brazilian mahogany base and stained to match.

DSCF3346.jpg

Rog

Very nice work Rog. That is the only problem with the 'can you just' jobs they are usually bigger than you think. The customer with the bathroom vanity siad he had a small job for me! Some small job. :roll:

I must admit I thoroughly enjoy the smaller more detailed work which gets the brain matter working - Ok the bigger jobs pay the bills but there is one thing that is very important:-

You need to feed the soul occasionally - constantly doing mundane work can get depressing - having a project you truly love and can sink your heart into is something else.

Every now and then I take a few days out and make something because I want to - not because I have been commissioned to - These pieces always sell very quickly anyway

Really like that tray in particular!

Could you elaborate a bit more on the scarf jointing? Was it simply a 45° joint? How did you get a good grain match?

With the base, are you concerned that it may want to expand across its width?

Back