A cot-bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Almost finished, for grand-son (2 yrs 4 months). It's ash, will have 2 drawers under with ash faces and oak bun knobs, pine structure with dovetails. The slats have to go in yet, but it's close. Please note daughter was the client, and insisted quite fuss-free design. Is it the case that the ones who don't pay are the most demanding?
Design came from 2 inspirations: a French wrought iron settle c 1880, and some Shaker beds that were also designed to serve as seating. I am a great admirer of the Shaker approach to create one piece that serves more than one purpose. It's ash because technically that works well on a stress-frame like this, but also (and mainly) because I still have a good supply of very nice English ash, first milled over 20 years ago. BTW, the oak knobs - I have seen original Shaker furniture mixing oak and ash - they seem to live very nicely together... best I think when the structural is oak, and the fills/spacial parts are ash.
It's not a show-piece of course, but happy it looks OK and will do several jobs quite well.
cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

Attachments

• cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,228
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,243
Douglas

That is looking very nice indeed. I love the simple style but know that to achieve that is not at all easy. A nicely balanced look. I am sure your 'client' will cherish it for ever.

Mick

That is a truly lovely piece of work, well done ! What are the approximate dimensions please ? My first grandchild is due to be born in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to do something similar - given 2 years, even I might manage to finish it in time :)

Hi Blister - the gaps you mention are around 100mm, and the smaller gaps are spaced to fit a hand through safely... tried to think of that but a young boy will probably find some hazard somewhere. BTW, all edges rounded over 3/16ths to remove sharp corners.
Size is based on a standard 140 x 70cm mattress for a cot-bed (John Lewis basics), and I got the slats from Ikea as I can't even buy the wood for that (70 x 200cm, £10... rediculous!).
Once the drawers are done it will have a single central support under slats with a foot to the floor in the middle... I mean how far do you go??... it's not a trampoline (hammer)

condeesteso":3resry2n said:
Once the drawers are done it will have a single central support under slats with a foot to the floor in the middle... I mean how far do you go??... it's not a trampoline (hammer)

Oh yes it is - A trampoline, a racing car, a boat and anything else a young child's imagination will allow but it normally means testing it to its limit. :lol:

Mick

Thanks HC, I'd be interested but don't go to any lengths (I mean if it's paper and needs scanning etc) - i might be able to find it online maybe. Anyway it's built :shock:
Now, here's one that won't meet safety specs maybe. It's a crib really anyway - made by Norman Asher of Oban (3rd gen boat-builder). He only made ten and this is No6. It's elm over oak with ash support frame. This one never got used as a crib anyway:

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 897
Unless your local library has there system online you can't get them without paying.

Anyhow, I don't have the docs to scan, I had to go to my library and then ask for either prints outs (no more than 5 pages) or write the info down.

Shar and Squeeze points should have no less than 5mm in diameter.
Distance between base and sides (gap) no less than 25mm
Slats of the cot base 60mm gaps
Clearance between structural members 65mm.

Think I have a page somewhere else as I can't find min and max for sides.

thanks HC. Was a time when I hated not knowing, but I became more relaxed about it. So, what actually is a shar point please? In fact, shar and squeeze points have me lost - I am sure I have broken at least one BS rule... mind you, see what I slept in when I was small and I'm still here :lol:

Points that could cut, chop off or squash parts. I don't you have broken any rules as your not selling the bed or offer it in the public domain. I think the same regarding all the regs and only looked them up as I plan to start my own range of nursery furniture and a cot HAS to comply to BS, most other things seems exempt or fall under the normal regs.

Thanks HC - "you're not selling anything".... sooo bloody right, if only :lol:
and thanks RT too... when you sharpening my Disston then?

Douglas wrote: "and thanks RT too... when you sharpening my Disston then?"

Any time your'e ready pally - (we've been watching Morecambe and Wise tonight)

That's a beautiful piece Douglas , lucky child getting something as beautiful for his first bed. :eek:

Back