A Clock made from Apple Tree...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
When I was about 6 my parents planted a twig that was an apple tree. When was 12 we moved house and dug up the apple tree which was by now about 3 inch thick and relocated it in the garden of our new home. When I was 35 my parents decided to have all the garden re-done and this meant the apple tree which was now 8-10 inch thick had to be taken down. It was a sad day, but we cut it down and I salvaged a chunk of trunk for a future project. Today is my mums birthday and knowing she's been after a clock for the mantle piece for a while now I set about making her one, I rifled around in my wood store looking for a suitable piece of timber and spotted the apple tree trunk. Well, what better way would I use it than for this? I didn't take any WIP pics as really apart from splitting the log, smoothing it, putting a square hole in the back (used the mortiser) and finishing the piece it didn't really seem worth it. But here is my mums new clock and she loves it and the fact that she planted that twig that became this clock many years later.

2012-07-08%252015.11.43.jpg

2012-07-08%252015.12.34.jpg

2012-07-08%252015.13.11.jpg

2012-07-08%252015.12.01.jpg

I don't normally like chunky log items, but this case is different - I think that's a really nice story and a lovely piece of work! I also like the way that the figures (pyro'd?) are as neat as the rest of it while still looking hand done, not laser etched on a production line.

yes AndyT, I pyro'd the numbers on by hand. didn't want it looking too much like a mass produced piece. however, I still have the other half of the trunk so I might do one for myself!

That's a very nice clock but and even better story. I think you should document the story, dates addresses etc, to keep with the clock so that it can be handed down through future generations of your family.

Maybe in 100 years somebody will be looking at this clock, reading the document and like us on the forum saying what a lovely clock and wonder full story.

Well done

Charlie Woody":2zn1srrh said:
That's a very nice clock but and even better story. I think you should document the story, dates addresses etc, to keep with the clock so that it can be handed down through future generations of your family.

Maybe in 100 years somebody will be looking at this clock, reading the document and like us on the forum saying what a lovely clock and wonder full story.

Well done

great idea Charlie, I'll do that today! =D>

What a lovely story and the chunky finish to the piece give it a real natural look and feel the only addition i would have done is under the numeral 6 put "Our Family Tree"

Latest posts

Back