a clear nights sky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkymarky

Established Member
Reaction score
thought i would share this one, as many of you (turners especially) seem to be keen photographers, so after 1/2 hour in the freezing cold tonight i finally managed to get a good one, chuffed to bits with it.
moonpp.jpg

Hudson Carpentry":iivq3knj said:
What lens did you use?
the one that is attached to my camera, i`ve got a fujifilm hs20exr bridge camera goes up to 30x zoom (720mm equivalent), bought it about 5 months ago but only now with some christmas time off, getting a chance to play with the manual settings.

Nice photo =D>

RogerS":2qjxxr9t said:
tripod? It's very sharp. Long exposure?

In my experience long exposures of the moon don't work because it moves across the sky too quickly. Unless I'm doing something wrong...?

RogerS":3elwe687 said:
yep `hama star 62` (christmas present) really pleased with it, obviously not a high end tripod but does the job very very well.

It's very sharp
that`ll be a bit of photoshop, i just sharpened it up a little.

Long exposure?
the setting that gave me the best result was this-
-1/17 sec shutter speed.
-f-5.6 aperture.
-iso 100.
-set to high resolution.
-dynamic range 100%.

i found too with the long exposure i struggled to get it to be anything other than a white blurry blob on a black backdrop.

Nice shot Mark.

sparkymarky":2oeun909 said:
i found too with the long exposure i struggled to get it to be anything other than a white blurry blob on a black backdrop.
Thing to remember is that the moon is lit by the same sunlight that falls here on earth, so long exposures will be likely to overexpose. Also (unless you're shooting a very close detail of the moon's surface) because of the amount of dark sky around it, many cameras/light-meters will be 'fooled' into over-exposing as well; the joy of shooting digitally is that you can see in a couple of seconds how close (or not) your exposure is, and can adjust it accordingly.

Cheers, Pete

nice photo john, i like the full moon is captured but the crescent is the most visible combined with the dusk below. out of interest what time did you take the shot?

Golden Hour I bet SparkyMarky ??? Yours is a great shot from a fixed lens camera!

Its a nice photo Jonz but if you don't mind me making a suggestion. Photoshop the headlights and the white speck in the sky out (venus). There both (to me) distracting taking away from the overall scene.

Camera, Canon 500D with an 18/200mm Canon lens, F4 at 1/30th. Taken at 18.00. The planet Venus is there, so why remove it. The 'headlights' are house or street lights at Montredon, about 15 miles S/W of us and I had missed them or they too would have been removed as were some others. But for me one of the beauties was Venus, the moon and the colour gradient between the black silouette of the trees and the sky with the transition between.

Ta for the suggestions though :mrgreen:

To answer why remove it, because IMO it looks like a spec of light/dust that don't belong. Anyhow its still a great shot with like you say, gradient in sky and silhouettes. You know its Venus so like you say, why remove!

Is landscapes your normal photographic subject?

That's a great shot Mark. Not overexposing the moon and getting a sharp image isn't easy.

I also like your shot John. Nice overall image with the moon and Venus. I tried a nightime version of the moon and venus once, years back, but back in the days of film and unfortunately the processing was for all photos, which included daylight shots, and they didn't process my night shots... maybe I'll try again some time with digital.

DTR":it8d2920 said:
Nice photo =D>

RogerS":it8d2920 said:
tripod? It's very sharp. Long exposure?

In my experience long exposures of the moon don't work because it moves across the sky too quickly. Unless I'm doing something wrong...?

Yes - even using my (only) 4x zoom Canon A630 I had to keep the exposures down below 2 seconds, otherwise a single star would blur across multiple pixels.

I eventually got a few pixels worth of M42

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ ... t/all/vc/1

BugBear

Back