A Cherry challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
This Cherry platter is 24" x 16" x 4" created from an old wild shaped part rotten cherry log it took a long time and a lot of hard work to complete but boy was it worth it, it has 6 coats of Teak oil made with a log that would normally be discarded as fire wood very often there is an item of strange beauty inside the most awful log and just look at that grain have a go start small and explore enjoy your journey in turning

Attachments

• CHERRY BOWL - Copy.JPG
    CHERRY BOWL - Copy.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,158
Really nice piece of timber there Woody, would have been a sin to waste it .
Beautiful grain well spotted .

Yes indeed, very nice. I really like this sort of thing and what you have done shows the grain very well.

Ignore all comments about the stuff falling through the hole.

Yes indeed, very nice. I really like this sort of thing and what you have done shows the grain very well.

Hmmmm - ignore all double posts. It means Steadman is playing with a new browser that does stuff but forgets to confirm that it has done it - back to Safari.

Oy you! There's only one 'ole and it has some beautiful wood around it too Woody!

Don't take any notice of Gordon, he's always blaming something or other for finger trouble :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is a nice piece of cherry. I was given several logs about a year back from a neighbour. It is all very straight grain and has made some lovely bowls. Cherry is a delight init..

Jonzjob":1gtud4lv said:
Oy you! There's only one 'ole and it has some beautiful wood around it too Woody!

Don't take any notice of Gordon, he's always blaming something or other for finger trouble :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is a nice piece of cherry. I was given several logs about a year back from a neighbour. It is all very straight grain and has made some lovely bowls. Cherry is a delight init..
Every forum has one and I have now had the pleasure of being the victim of your one LOL how many more are there LOL

Several Woody. I loved your silver birch root too. I have seen some lovely things emerge from the most awful looking bits of wood. One even won me a UKWorkshop trophy for me candle stick.

It started like this

Russianolive.jpg

And finished like this

Candlestickandplaque.jpg

A bit of Russian olive from a small tree that died in our garden.

Thank you.. I always find that watching the piece develope drives the patience.

I've been turning now for about 15 years and it fascinates me still to see just what is inside a bit of rough looking wood. The small branch wood of the Russian olive is totally different and quite yellow. I makes lovely pens and book marks

Penguinchick2.jpg

Sorry, I'm hijacking your post. I have turned very unballanced wood and I know just how dificult it is to get the lovely finish on your cherry bowl. Keeping the bark on must have been a hell of a job too!

Superb.... I wouldn't even know where to start!

Are you able to maybe post a picture of the base and explain a little the process - how did you go about chucking the blank?

I'd love to have the confidence to be able to try something as impressive, but for now I need to get the basics sorted!

Well done and thanks for posting your work - I find it inspiring to see what is possible.

Wouldchuk":17bjxaw8 said:
Superb.... I wouldn't even know where to start!

Are you able to maybe post a picture of the base and explain a little the process - how did you go about chucking the blank?

I'd love to have the confidence to be able to try something as impressive, but for now I need to get the basics sorted!

Well done and thanks for posting your work - I find it inspiring to see what is possible.

I too would be interested to see the underside and have the principles of the turning explained.

It is certainly is a stunning piece!!

Crumbs I had forgoten all about this one Im very sorry but I cant take any more photos because it has sold about a month or so ago I first mounted it on a 6" home made faceplate ring done the outside with a dovetail for the Axminster Goliath jaws and finished the top exactly the same way as any bowl but bigger

Back