A Cheap Stanley #1 Anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, that was a very decent price for a #1 in that condition. That is the normal price for a plane in Good+ shape. I've seen #1's with box go for $3,500 - $5,000.

You've got to REALLY want one to pay that. :shock:

Myself, I'd work from A-Z throught the LN catalogue until I had used up the $5000 :p :wink:

Tony":2u70iz0j said:
You've got to REALLY want one to pay that. :shock:

Myself, I'd work from A-Z throught the LN catalogue until I had used up the $5000 :p :wink:

But if you sold those LN's, you would take a loss. That Stanley #1 cost about $2.50 new. :lol:

Roger Nixon":tuzotctc said:
That Stanley #1 cost about $2.50 new. :lol:
That reminds me; I must have another go at that Time Machine. If only I could find a laboratory conveniently situated in front of a dress shop with a dummy who's changing fashions could accurately tell me where in time I'd got too... There's always something isn't there? :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Alf you been watching old cartoons again :lol: . To pay 3.5 to 5 grand for a plane is nuts i'll bet it gets put in a glass case n whats the point of that :roll:

Tony":1leoy5hn said:
Sold those LN's??? Sorry I don't understand.... :wink:

Life happens :lol: Death, divorce, health, moving, new hobbies, new tastes, etc. Most of the tools I've purchased were from estates where the families didn't care about the tools or collectors who had to liquidate. Purchasing a vintage or antique tool is never a cause for concern for me as I can usually turn a nice profit if I choose to part with it.

I see your point Roger and I'm sure many members feel the same way

I only have one each size/type of plane that I own and wouldn't consider buying another of the same size/type unless the existing ones failed in some way. I have no interest in collecting old tools
Thus I wouldn't part with any of them - unless I upgraded my remaining Stanleys to LN :)

OK. To be honest I kept my Record block when I bought the LN replacement as it was my first plane - so I have two standard angle block planes :oops:

However, as you say, hobbies, interests and circumstances change......

Cheers

Tony

Now where's that LN catalogue

Hi Tony,
This thread started out with folks marvelling at the price of a Stanley #1. My point was there are many reasons people make their choices and there is no right or wrong, just personal preference and our reasons are all valid. In this case, the buyer of the #1 enjoys collecting planes, you enjoy using LN planes, I enjoy using old planes. The common factors and the differences are what make discussions fun and interesting. Bob Nelson, editor EAIA's Directory of American Tool Makers, gave one of my favorite quotes: "If two people agree on everything, one is unecessary". :lol:

Hi Roger

I was never having a go at the buyer, only the PRICE!!!

I completely understand why people would want to collect/use/tune/own/love old tools :wink:

I wish I had a #1 to sell :)

Hey everyone, I enjoyed reading the No1 thread (makes me think what my 602 is worth these days :oops: )

It made me think again about Karl Hotley and how beautiful his planes are, so I called up his website - http://hotley.co.uk and it was no where to be found - anyone know anything?

Andy

AndyBoyd":13tlz0gp said:
Hey everyone, I enjoyed reading the No1 thread (makes me think what my 602 is worth these days :oops: )

Andy

That wouldn't happen to be a 602 C (corrugated) would it? In which case it is right there with the No. 1 in price and even more rare. In any case, a 602 is a real score :!:

Latest posts

Back