A cheap place to get my dewalt combi drill chuck wobble fixed? (london)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex8542

Reaction score
Hi, i bought a brand new combi drill, used it with a paddle attatchment to mix concrete, and it ended up with chuck wobble. I mean it's still usable, but if possible, i'd like to get it fixed as it's rather annoying.

but the thing is, i went online for dewalt official tool repairer and only one of them was still doing repairs, and it'd cost 80 pounds... almost as much as a new tool...

does anyone know any cheaper options?

thanks!

Can you tell where the wobble is coming from? I would guess the bearings. It’s not a difficult DIY job. Check out YouTube videos to see if it’s something you could do.
when i spin the drill and grip the chuck, the chuck is moving up and down, is that the bearing? so can i fix it with just buying a new chuck? the chuck closes fine though, all 3 jaws close perfectly

when i spin the drill and grip the chuck, the chuck is moving up and down, is that the bearing? so can i fix it with just buying a new chuck? the chuck closes fine though, all 3 jaws close perfectly

No that doesn't sound like the chuck it sounds like the bearings in the drill are knackered. Only way to fix it without paying a lot is to do it yourself

By up and down do you mean along the axis of the drill or side to side across the drill?
There will be play along the axis but should be none or very little across the axis. If it’s across the axis it’s going to need new bearings.

By up and down do you mean along the axis of the drill or side to side across the drill?
There will be play along the axis but should be none or very little across the axis. If it’s across the axis it’s going to need new bearings.
Up and down as in, when I hold the chuck and it's closing the jaws, the plastic jacket is wobbling up and down slightly, like if the rotational axis is slightly at an angle so when it spins, rather than a perfect rotational movement, there's also translational movement.

Like if the chuck was threaded in at slightly wrong angle. But I'm hoping that's not the motor parts that is misaligned....

Anyone knows a chapter place to get it looked at and get it fixed? I'm not paying £80 for and inspection

Up and down as in, when I hold the chuck and it's closing the jaws, the plastic jacket is wobbling up and down slightly, like if the rotational axis is slightly at an angle so when it spins, rather than a perfect rotational movement, there's also translational movement.

Like if the chuck was threaded in at slightly wrong angle. But I'm hoping that's not the motor parts that is misaligned....

Anyone knows a chapter place to get it looked at and get it fixed? I'm not paying £80 for and inspection
Ah that might be the Chuck. Chucks are pretty easy to replace and readily available.

https://www.mytoolshed.co.uk/dewalt...piry=1623665928&source=webgains&siteid=196673
These are just examples you can search for your specific model.

At the very least you should remove your Chuck to see if the wobble is detectable on the spindle In the drill. If it is then you have a bigger issue. If the spindle runs true replacing the Chuck should solve your problem.

Edit: one other thought. If you put a drill bit or bit of round bar in the Chuck does that deflect up and down? or is it only the plastic tightening ring. If it’s just the ring you could ignore it or replace the Chuck if it annoys you.

I think you will be wasting your money on a new Chuck, I think you’ve bent the shaft, now whether you think that is poor design and so shouldn’t have happened is for you to decide, if that’s your conclusion take it back to where you bought it. Ian
Edit, sorry Paul missed your 2nd to last sentence.

Sorry but if it's the sort of battery powered little thing as in the picture then there is no way you should be trying to mix concrete with it. Tribute to the tool that it managed it at all if you ask me. If you check out the tools sold specifically for mixing plaster etc they are massive by comparison, and with good reason.

Latest posts

Back