A Charles Rennie Mackintosh Bed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy

Reaction score
About 35 years ago my dad and his friend managed to get to measure a Mackintosh bed at Hillhouse Museum that had a connection with the great man in Helensburgh. Someone had asked my dad if he could build them one for a relation that was coming over from America on holiday. My dad could have built anything out of wood so he took the project on. It was not finished in time and has sat inside his workshop for the last 35 years where it has got water damaged at the 4 uprights and it should have another cross rail on the bottom of the smaller one to make it the same height as the back one. My questions are ... Has anyone got a photo of the original bed to show me what it looks like when finished? What kind of oak is it made out of? And the really hard question, is there any one out there that that can take this project on to get it finished? The hard work is done already. I am really looking for someone in central Scotland that can do this. My dad passed away last December and would like to get it finished as a tribute to him. Have looked on the internet but just can't see one the same as this... I'm guessing my best chance might be to try and get into the Mackintosh Museum but it's closed because of Covid and it might be years before it is open again! If anyone has a connection to anyone that could maybe get me in to view that would be good

121232899_2660157524249045_5763873654352472583_n.jpg121678474_465842144393338_2650285572366263800_n.jpg121679462_892619211547644_1677445800520656008_n.jpg121683361_1325039347669584_859397271546719358_n.jpg121683363_349569846255400_3501028025163656886_n (1).jpg

Sorry I can't help, but I just wanted to say, what a beautiful piece of work that is. I think it's extra skilful to carve what look like structural elements from the solid. And then the overall effect is so organic and natural. Superb.

A good source of images is Instagram, but of limited use lately unless you can sign in. I'm sure there is a lot of Mackintosh stuff on there? That doesn't look like oak though.

A quick look on google for Hillhouse Renae Mackintosh bed brought this up there are several pictures on google images but it’s not quite the same, I much prefer your fathers!
5C9E7C9C-989A-49AD-B98E-A2A9FCB93D01.png

Nice to see you back Davy, I assume this was the project you needed to pick up. Wow, what a great piece of workmanship.
The best bloke I know who may be able to help with information is Richard Arnold @richarnold . He's a good way from you in Market Harborough though.
I'll give him a nudge.
Cheers Andy

I have worked at a lot of museums. Whilst public exhibitions may be closed, the staff are still beavering away behind the scenes and the curators will still be working and available. They have to be to ensure the integrity of the collection. So I would urge you yo contact the museum directly. They probably have a publicly available email address, or you could write to the Director. They will often be able to get you photographs or items in the collection, perhaps at a modest charge. Sometimes they may even have drawings. It is normal to reciprocate by offering them copies of drawings that you may make.

Actually they are open again: see The Hill House | National Trust for Scotland

I think your father has done his own interpretation of the original bed. He has taken the spirit of the design ethos used and interpreted it in a way that could have probably met his original design brief that may have had some size restrictions. This is a really interesting piece he has made. I will pm Sun/Mon after I have had a chance to hopefully talk to a couple of people who may be able to help

Thanks for all the replies It is good to know that Hill House is now open Was sure that i heard on the radio that it was not going to open again this year In the last 30 seconds my wife has found the exact bed at"Windy Hill" in Kilmacolm a house that Macintosh designed which is a private house Can not see what it looks like along the sides of the bed with the bed linen in the way Check it out if anyone is interested

Attachments

• Charles Rennie Mackintosh Windyhill Bed.jpg
    Charles Rennie Mackintosh Windyhill Bed.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 15
what
A good source of images is Instagram, but of limited use lately unless you can sign in. I'm sure there is a lot of Mackintosh stuff on there? That doesn't look like oak though.
Thanks for that Brian about Instagram What a help that was Had to wait until my daughter got back from work late Saturday night to find out more about it Today i was at Kilmacolm trying to find any tradesmen who had worked in "Windyhill" The house was up for sale 6 years a go for £3 million but it did not sell so the roofer told me The same guy is still in it and the roofer does work for him The roofer went and chapped his door and told him about the bed He was invited in to the house and the original bed is still there! He had a look at it and says the sides are just a straight piece of timber He has gave me the guys phone number and i have to go to"Windyhill and measure it What a stroke of luck!

Fantastic news, I'm still waiting for somone to get back to me. But you can now go straight to the horses mouth :)

Went to see the bed at "Windy Hill" today... What a lovely man the owner is and turns out he is the Chairperson of the Mackintosh Society. The bed he has is a copy of the original, built to the exact millimetre. My Dad's one is very slightly different and the guy said this will make a huge difference as therefore cannot be sold as a replica. One thing that struck me when looking at the one in the house, was the length, it was very short but was told it was made to measure for the original owners years ago. Have got the measurements of his Will need to have a think about what to do next The owner was showing us a piece of Macintosh furniture that he got a guy from Edinburgh to copy from the original cabinet It cost him £80 .000 to get built The light shades in the same room cost £34.000 each to make the exact copy of the originals There are 4 of them !Nice work if you can get it

Went to see the bed at "Windy Hill" today... What a lovely man the owner is and turns out he is the Chairperson of the Mackintosh Society. The bed he has is a copy of the original, built to the exact millimetre. My Dad's one is very slightly different and the guy said this will make a huge difference as therefore cannot be sold as a replica. One thing that struck me when looking at the one in the house, was the length, it was very short but was told it was made to measure for the original owners years ago. Have got the measurements of his Will need to have a think about what to do next The owner was showing us a piece of Macintosh furniture that he got a guy from Edinburgh to copy from the original cabinet It cost him £80 .000 to get built The light shades in the same room cost £34.000 each to make the exact copy of the originals There are 4 of them !Nice work if you can get it
How brilliant that you have had the pleasure and opportunity to see this bed for yourself.
Would this be the one your dad seen or the actual original?
Good luck with getting it finished, such a fitting tribute to your Father.
I have just thought of a brilliant Arts and Crafts worker I know called Nicolas Hobbs. He is a well respected, most wonderful chap and would, I dare say, be interested in talking to you about this even if not finishing it for you.
http://www.nicholashobbs.com/
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
How brilliant that you have had the pleasure and opportunity to see this bed for yourself.
Would this be the one your dad seen or the actual original?
Good luck with getting it finished, such a fitting tribute to your Father.
I have just thought of a brilliant Arts and Crafts worker I know called Nicolas Hobbs. He is a well respected, most wonderful chap and would, I dare say, be interested in talking to you about this even if not finishing it for you.
http://www.nicholashobbs.com/
Cheers Andy
So have now no idea where my dad got the design for his from The guy that owns the house has only been in it for 25 year and it was him that got it made off of the original to put in the house My dad got his design 10 year before that
Down in Cumbria for motocross so will get you to give Nicolas Hobbs a shout for me the next time i am heading down in the van Will not be until next year Thanks for all of your help

Back