A catch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Needed a catch for box lid and being Xmas time I decided to stay clear of town centre shops and knocked out a catch. Might be a new invention so off to the patent office in the new year. :)

catch1w.jpg

Method of construction (square rod to stop and turning of catch)
catch2w.jpg

Close up.Using an expansion spring so when the rod is pushed and lid opens, the expansion spring allow automatic return to locking position which is located in the lid.

catch3w.jpg

Time taken to make above was equal to getting out the motorcar driving into town, looking for a parking space and then finding that nobody stocks this sought of catch :)

devonwoody said:
Might be a new invention so off to the patent office in the new year. :)

Not to put too much of a downer DW but now that you've posted this in the public domain I'm not sure that you can still apply for a patent. Hopefully I'm talking rubbish.

DW
Can you also invent a camera that takes pics that are in focus? :roll: :wink: Would love to see the catch properly, looks interesting.
Have a good Xmas you and yours
Regards
martin

mahking51":1wzdksfq said:
DW
Can you also invent a camera that takes pics that are in focus? :roll: :wink: Would love to see the catch properly, looks interesting.
Have a good Xmas you and yours
Regards
martin

c1w.jpg

c2w.jpg

catch4w.jpg

The LID holder.
catch5w.jpg

Thinking since constructing the catch a further developement could follow which has a wooden outside knob, then the expansion spring inside same which is recessed into outside of case. This would mean that no mechanism was seen from the outside.

For purists the hole mechananism could be made from wood (aprt from the spring) if bras elbows were made up using 1/8" brass tube soldered, and doweling used for rods.

Nice catch but sorry to burst your bubble, catch like that where made in antiques for hinden compartments :)

Back