A British Jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
This is one for my dear friend, @MikeG. , lover of jointers.

Spotted this on eBay, a surface planer with a JOINTING unit, quite rare. They had a terrible reputation for taking the fingers of inattentive and complacent workers.

ZmoBEnP.png

TIO8Bjr.png

Last edited:
A vertical planer makes sense to me. It's easier to hold a board down flat to edge joint than to hold it up against a fence ... but then more difficult to plane the face. I think it would make sense for production work though

Having the two mahcines in one does look terribly dangerous though.

A vertical planer makes sense to me. It's easier to hold a board down flat to edge joint than to hold it up against a fence ... but then more difficult to plane the face. I think it would make sense for production work though

When my PT was out of action I tried edging stuff using the rebate block on my spindle moulder and for me it wasn't very successful. It felt awkward pushing the stock sideways against the spindle fence compared to pushing it down on to the planer table. Maybe it was because they were longish lengths I was trying to straighten but they would have been no problem on the PT.

That's an interesting machine, my 4 sider works on a similar principle really, except the surface planer blades are first with a straight liner cutter attached, then the vertical cutter is 2" after them, then other vertical blade followed by top set, obviously all enclosed.

That's an interesting machine, my 4 sider works on a similar principle really, except the surface planer blades are first with a straight liner cutter attached, then the vertical cutter is 2" after them, then other vertical blade followed by top set, obviously all enclosed.

And then a Wadkin PAR is somewhere in between this kind of planer and a four-sider, surface and one edge in the first pass, then push it through the side unit to calibrate the width and thickness to the final dimensions.

Back