A brief history of shed.....my version

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquareCircle

Established Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if I don't get this right and its too long or something, its my first time of tying to upload images, so i am still learning. I thought I'd do a little tour of my shed, especially since it it'll all be gone within a couple of weeks when we move house.

Story kind'a goes like this.

1998 - New house. Back garden definitely needs taming.

10%20-%20rear%20garden.jpg

Having a shed at the end seemed like a good idea at the time.

11%20-%20Setting%20out.jpg

And after much back breaking work with a pick and shovel.

12%20-%20Foundations.jpg

Saturday morning, enlisted the local concrete gang with the promise of a fry up after a little light work. Placed 3 cube. The concrete truck couldn't get closer than 200ft to the workface.

13%20-%20Conc%20Pour.jpg

Even SWMBO learnt some new skills

14%20%20-%20Conc%20pour%202.jpg

At some point, another bloke came and gave me a hand with the walls. Actually he did the fancy stuff with string lines and mortar. I just played the pack horse and had to carry all the bricks and blocks from the drop off point i.e 200ft away.

15%20-%20Walls.jpg

Roll forward two or so years and our first child's almost walking. Allow some major back breaking work digging up the garden, plus a wee decking project. Plus a couple of dozenlost photographs. Garden's looking a bit tamer, shed' at the bottom is looking almost finished on the outside.

16%20-%20Pre%20turf.jpg

And a few months later...

17%20-%20Post%20turf.jpg

Oh yes...the shed. Sorry, I lost all the progress photo's putting together the inside. However after Child No 2 came along,and another few years of moving things around, then dry lining, insulating, painting, flooring, heating........it kinda looks like this. Now just in time to move house.

21%20-%20Interior.jpg

23%20-%20interior%203.jpg

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing. When I was digging the foundations, 3.5m seemed prety wide for a shed..........that was obviously before discovering the joys of making sawdust. Look forward to the next shed project. I think I've learnt a lot from this one.

22%20-%20Interior%202.jpg

Routers and other routing bits and jigs. Leigh D4 is great. Only thing worth saying about the Trend M&T is ‘better save pennies for a long, long time, then get a Leigh FMT’. The Milwaukee fixed based router is a different prospect all together. US spec, but runs without problem on UK 110V. Excellent router; however the lack of NRV safety switch makes it an accident waiting to happen

31%20-%20Routing.jpg

Router table is my own design. Not quite finished, Tools / cutter storage drawers pending. Table houses a Makita 3612C (8/10) with router raiser (6/10) + xtreme xtension (9/10). I like the Makita, but hope it blows up when I can afford a Triton. Incra LS25 (10/10) is impressively accurate and repeatability. Table needs a bigger workshop

32%20-%20router%20table.jpg

First ever dust extractor (Axminster WV100). recently boxed it and now used predominantly for power tools and cleaning up. Future development (maybe next decade) is to modify electrics for automatic switching.
Think that the Festool circular saw is amazing especially compared to the B&D entry level C Saw that it replaced. The lamello isn't too bad either.

33%20-%20FDE.jpg

Workbench area, do dahs every where. Never seem to have enough clamps. Proper workbench is one of the first projects after building new workshop.

34%20-%20wbench.jpg

Machine area. After years of trial and error, settled on this layout which seems to work well. Machines only get moved for the largest pieces, and the switch for the dust extractor / blast gates never more than a couple of paces away. Cheap B&Q laminate floor is great for sliding machines into position
TS 2000. Good S/H buy. And great for a small space. Works even better once you get rid of the daft base and makea cabinet that can store the extensions and the slide carriage when they are off the saw. On balance, I still prefer using a home made cutting sledge for a lot of operations. Plan to upgrade to something dado capable + cast iron when budget allows and i have bit more space.

40%20-%20machine%20area.jpg

41%20-%20blast%20gates.jpg

HMS 260 P/T. Ex Aragorn. Even more pleased with it once I sorted the storage for fence and table when using in thickness mode. Care is required when planing as the jointer fence is easily deflected out of square. One of Scheppach’s poorer details. Can't fault machine in thickness mode.

42%20-%20hms%20260.jpg

Current WIP - Ash / Ash veneer bespoke cabinets for small bedroom. Almost finished the doors when somebody came along along and bought the house. Murphy’s law says that it’ll have to be canibalised before it fits anywhere in new house. Mercifully, I hadn’t glued up the door frames.

50-%20WIP.jpg

Birthday pressies; arrived just in time for Xmas. :D :D :D Unfortunately it'll be another month or two before these get used in anger. Still, sure you'll agree they're great subjects for still life.....

51%20-%20Still%20life.jpg

I'm winning - I got 5 pictures to open!! :lol:

And the ones that did make it look like a fantastic workshop (but ever so clean..) - shame you have to leave it behind :cry:

Andrew

By right-clicking on the image,going to "properties",then cut-and-paste the URL,I've now got 11 of them to open - but some of them come up with a "forbidden" error,as if some of the pictures are not shared/public.

Andrew

Sorry folks.
Created the message last night using images uploaded to the imagestation website. It all seemed to preview so well, and everything is in the public directory. Logging on directly this morning, there seemed to be problems viewing some of the pages. The imagestation website perhaps?
Have threrefore spent the rest of the morning figuring out how to build my own website; and finally managed to upload the photographs, so i'll edit the original post and change the links (wish me luck)

SC

i've got all the pics
great post, always interesting to see these kinds of things :D .
The garden looks great =D>
well done
b_h

I've got all the pics but they are huge! Any chance you could resize them?

Workshop and garden looks fantastic.

Andy

Wonderful SC! =D>
Very jealous-would love to build my "ultimate workshop". What a great idea for a TV show, eh? :lol:
Keep up the excellent gloatage,
Philly :D

Apologies for the large photo's. I'm learning website stuff fast. Should be a bit more manageable now.
And many thanks for the kind words. Very pleased with the way that the shed turned out; width excepted. Looking forward to constructing the next one, and then getting back to other projects.

regards

SC

Thanks for shrinking the piccies SC :) . Now I can see your lovely, well-equipped workshop. There's a distinct absence of dust... in fact, your workshop is tidier than my house!

Gill

sc i got all the pics except for the one still life was it a pic of some flowers in a vase :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
very nice shed can you not take it with you :wink:

frank

SC,
Thanks for sorting the pix - one can enjoy the show now - and what a show! Fantastic result and no doubt a fantastic amount of work. You can be jolly proud of it!

I realy enjoy looking at other people workshops specialy when they are as nice as yours is, not jealous at all :^o

I don't like it at all, especially with all that shiny blue/yellow equipment about
eusa_liar.gif

:shock:
Thats stunning!
Hope mine turns out that well. Although its unlikely :oops: You have plaster coving in you're workshop - I have Cow C*^p (At the moment)

You have some really nice gear in there too. Do you have enough clamps :tongue9:

I would be happy to store some for you whilst you get sorted out with the new house etc.
Lee. :wink:

Back