A Box - for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skillfully turned and very nicely finished considering the extremely complex and fiddly nature of the box, quirky to look at I guess.
Although it is interesting from a technical viewpoint, personally, I don't find it attractive aesthetically as you really only see the shape and not the grain of the wood.

Very clever piece of turning there, Harlequin - but like KimG I don't find the overall shape aesthetically attractive. I think perhaps there is too much going on at once visually. For me, the eccentic final and foot would work well if the main body of the box were a simpler shape - and the main body of the box would look good with a simpler finial and foot.

Too clever by half. It looks like you've done it because you can. Like the others, impressed with the technical achievement but aesthetically it just doesn't do anything for me at all.

I would rather have a poorly turned and finished lovely shape than round the other way.

Each to their own I guess.

Well I LOVE IT!
I am sure it is technically bloody difficult and I think it looks really good. I keep going back and looking at the pictures in phoptobucket so I can see the shape better.
I don't know if the others are right about one bit being simple and the other complex - How about you give it a go? - Do a simple box and quirky finial or vice versa?
If you wanna send it to someone for closer inspection and safe keeping, I'm yer man :wink:
Greg

I can appreciate all the work and planing that has gone into this box it is expectedly turned and finished but sorry just not my cup of tea it is one of those quirky bits that has a exclusive market

Well done on creating a box which is different from the norm.The choice of woods work well together and you have come up with an original design which looks well proportioned to me. I think it's an idea you could develop further, e.g. by trying different sizes and proportions and maybe with/without the offset turning.

Ian

Another great piece mr H. Part of the Macabre series?
Picking holes and for my own tastes I think i would like the finial either shorter or thinner - can't make my mind up, but that said, still and interesting and inspiring piece.

Thanks all for your kind comments

One of the challenges in this piece (to me anyway) was to keep the main body light enough to be supported in an ofset manner.
A deeply hollowed box would be light enough but topple over when filled with something, a chunky box was in itself quite heavy to achieve the delicate offset.
The ribbed turning was therefore adopted as an alternative to achieve the lightness required both in appearance but also in weight(centre of gravity)

Back