A bottom feeder from the States

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

DaveL wrote:
Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forum.
Do I take it from that your not in the UK? Please tell us a little more about where you are and the woodworking stuff locally, if you don't mind. Its nice to know what people have around them

Hi Dave,
I'm way in the center of the United States in north central Kansas about as land locked as a person can be :) . I live very near the Oregon Trail and this area was settled starting in the 1850's primarily by European immigrants.
I mention this history because it really influences the tools that are available. I admire new tools and their makers but I am an old tool lover, or galoot, if you will. I find a lot of old tools around here that are around 100 years old, primarily USA made Stanley and the saws are mostly Disston.
This area is not heavily wooded so the majority of tools are more carpenter type than fine woodwork. Blacksmith tools abound as this land was (and is) sparsely populated ant the farmers had to be very self sufficient.
The most common local woods are walnut, ash, pecan (or hickory), several species of maple, red and white oak, basswood (very similar to your lime, I hear), sycamore, hackberry, and cottonwood.
I'm afraid I'm much more someone who tinkers with tools than a woodworker. I have some power tools but they are mostly just a way to get me to the more enjoyable parts of woodworking quickly :lol: .
I'm envious of the tool & woodworking history you have over there and I hope to learn a lot here. This is a very impressive forum.
My website is Traditional Tools.
Sorry for the long, boring discourse

Hi Roger, and welcome.

It wasn't that long a discourse, and it certainly wasn't boring.

What are your favourite woods to work, if any? I haven't got to that point yet, having worked exclusively with softwoods so far. But I'm looking forward to sliding a plane through my first bit of cherry or walnut :).

I guess I favor walnut as far as working properties. It planes wonderfully.

Latest posts

Back