A blast from the past...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh.........that brings back memories. Quite a good remake and just as funny as the original.
Just off to feed the cat!!!!!?.........dom

phil.p":8gi8cjjz said:
Only served to remind me what a spanner Wendy Richard was in the original. :D
I haven`t heard that expression in an age !! But how many young people know its meaning ?
F.

Frank S":gerpvzj7 said:
phil.p":gerpvzj7 said:
Only served to remind me what a spanner Wendy Richard was in the original. :D
I haven`t heard that expression in an age !! But how many young people know its meaning ?
F.

I am 77. I don't know what it means. Never heard it used.
It doesn't sound very complimentary... I always thought she was a bit of awl-roight!

Never really liked 'Are you being served' so didnt think much of the remake episode but thought the Porridge remake was quite good and has lots of potential so hope they continue with it abit more. Apparently theres a few others like Goodnight Sweetheart and Keeping up appearances so will be interesting to see those aswell but again not to keen on the latter.

I suppose judgement is coloured by whether you liked the original - the fourth best sitcom ever apparently was The Vicar of Dibley, which I thought was absolutely dire - but then I thought Are You Being Served, The Young Ones, Dad's Army, Birds of a Feather, Bread, The Goodies and many others absolutely dire. My friend used to think the funniest thing on TV was Tommy Cooper - I could watch him for the rest of my life and not raise a smile. :D

You don't seem to have a 'funny bone' Phil. The Young Ones? Well can empathise there; and with Bread, but most of the others you mention, I found them amusing at least! :D

Ah Tommy Cooper! Very clever man.

I thought Are you being served was ok, not sure if it could make a series.

I expected to not like porridge as I think Ronnie B was fantastic in that and I couldn't see it working but I was pleasantly surprised and think a series of that could be good.

Phil I'm with you on some of your selection but not on Dads army. I thought that was very well written and even today it's still watchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im with Phil on this one, all the ones he mentioned I couldnt stand, especially Bread and dads army. I was too young for the Goodies but the rest ive seen but didnt find funny at all. Also never understood the fascination with Tommy Cooper who again I couldnt stand. Love Ronnie Bs work so loved Porridge, Open all Hours and Going Straight (I think that was it) aswell as others and also another classic but not Ronnie B was Only fools and Horses and also Steptoe and Son :)

DiscoStu":108r2f8i said:
..... but not on Dads army. I thought that was very well written and even today it's still watchable.

Absolutely. It's quite remarkable how much they seem to pack into a 30 minute programme.

Some of the writing has dated a little but considering its 30-40 years old it's impressive.

I watched the film the other day and quite enjoyed that as well although I thought the writing was quite week compared to the stunning cast. Gambon was excellent.

The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin. The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Rising Damp. One that I though extremely underrated was David Jason in A Kind of a Do. If you ever worked in the catering ... sorry, hospitality industry you foresaw what was coming, as it was so real. (I actually worked on a wedding reception where the groom on handing over to the best man said Now I'd like to hand over to the best man - in fact I'd like to hand over everything from now on to the best man, including my wife. He's been sha**ing her for the last year, so he's welcome to her. I'm off. And he went. So these things might seem unreal sometimes, but they happen. By the bye. :D )
My mother was a hotelier and she refused to watch Faulty Towers as she said it was too close to home. One day she took an order for a brie sandwich, and gave it to a lad (who was green carded) to go to make. After it was served, a few minutes later the customer came back. Excuse me, he said, there's something wrong with this. Sorry, sir - what's the problem? Well, there does't seem to be any cheese in it. Jon, she shouts, what's wrong with this brie sandwich? Oh, he says, I couldn't find the brie. It was just bread and butter. :D

I realy think the beeb should be spending money on supporting new creative talent, rather than wasting my cash remaking something already available. There are hundreds of very talented writers in the UK with the ability to write exceptional comedy shows and what do we get? The lowest common denominator crass reality TV and remakes, what a shame

Back