"A bit of Relief"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin

Established Member
Reaction score
Something a bit different. These two are my most recents cuttings. The inner part is raise approx. 1/4" on each. Hard to tell from the pics but the inner outside cut was cut with the saw table at a 4 degree angle causing the piece to be able to raise up and lock in that way. The eagle was cut from 1/2" redoak with the eagle stained to give contrast to the outside piece and the cougar was cut from 1/2" cherry with the outer part stained to give contrast. In comparision to some of the projects I've cut these two were quickly done...both cut in an afternoon.
Lin

reliefeaglecougarlg.jpg

Gosh Lin, those are beautiful. I especially like how you used the wood to good effect for the cougar.

Now I have two scrollers' who's work ought to inspire me to actually use my scrollsaw!

Well done.

Mike

Mike, You have a scrollsaw and not using it?....I was looking at your site....thinking about the possible fret overlays on those cabinets....maple on paduk.....now that would look awesome.
Really though.....I hope you drag out the saw and dust it off to make more dust....lol.
Would really enjoy seeing some of your work. Christmas is sneaking up on us and the scrollsaw can produce gorgeous gifts in a reasonable amount of time.....Stacking cutting on it makes mutiples of the same project easy to do.
Lin

Lin,

To my eyes these are beautiful - the grain on the cat works particularly well - I'd love to be able to do work that delicate and skillful.

Personally I much prefer this type of work to your pictures frames. I admire the skill in making of both, but the frames are too fussy for my taste whereas these pictures are spot on.

Hope you don't mind me saying that :).

Pete

Hi Lin,

I'm with Mike, love the work, looks like I need to blow the dust off my saw and have a go. Not had much success in the past using it. looking at your work is inspiring me to have another go.

Cheers

Neil

Lin":2vj5g8nk said:
Mike, You have a scrollsaw and not using it?
Lin
Yeah, terrible, huh?

We have our grandaughter stay with us for extended periods at times (spring break from school, summer). She always goes with grandpa when I go get wood and supplies (and works in the shop at times--she never gets tired of sanding...). One time we were in a Woodcraft store she was looking through the books and found some scrollsaw patterns and wanted to make some of the designs.

So we bought the book--and a scrollsaw. I had some 5mm baltic birch. So she copied patterns onto the wood and we had a wonderful week making dogs and cats, etc. That was two years or so ago. Following that week she has returned a few times to the scrollsaw, but her interests turned to other things around the shop. So it mainly stood in the corner unused, except when I made some wine racks and the few other inside cuts on things I was making.

I've talked about selling it at times--even listed it once on WC. But for now it remains. I would hate to sell it and have her show interest again and then find it gone. So you never know. Gill has encouraged me to do something with it as well.

Thank you, Mike

Glad you like the latest cuttings and no I don't mind that the "Frames" are not everyones "Cup of tea". I totally understand. Between the two "Relief cuttings" I like the cougar better also. I love eagles but the piece of wood that I found for the cougar does the pattern itself proud. Even more neat about that piece is that the cherry it was made with didn't come that far from home. The frames I enjoy doing for the challenge of all the cuts but mostly because they are "One of a Kind". Personalized for that customer. The look on their face when I deliver the piece make all the time I put in worth it. Great feeling to do somethng so special and personal. The frames are set up so pics can be changed and the hearts can be repalced with pictures.
Most that buy them plan on them being a family heirloom of sorts to be passed on to their children or grandchildren.
I really enjoy scrolling for the sake of scrolling. I do like working in the hardwoods the best but have found that ply and the plexi has it's place also.
Wolves are another of God's creatures that I enjoy cutting in wood.
I appreciate all the feedback....
Lin

Latest posts

Back