A bit of marine work over the holiday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
I needed to tidy up the nav station and install a new plotter on my boat and a few problems arose when measuring up.
This was the situation at the outset.

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

Several of the old radio's etc were redundant and the panel needed refurbishing before re-installing the good stuff

IMG_0687.jpg

The plotter needed a binnacle over the chart table

The chart table lid would not be able to open under the binnacle so would need a second piano hinge and the fiddle mitreing back to allow it to open and give it a stop.

I started with the easy one the piano hinge in the lid.

Remembering to maintain the overall depth so that the trim lined up I sawed to top in two and created a 5mm gap for the hinge. I cut back the fiddles to 45 deg to act as a stop.

IMG_0683.jpg

Luckily I found that the original had been varnished in Sikkens Marine Natural which matched perfectly (that's this year's good luck used up already)

Next the casing for the plotter

Although the boat is Mahogany I decided to use some nicely figured Sapele which I was re-cycling from an old staircase.

IMG_0646.jpg

The usual saw and surface routine produced some nice timber (and free)

IMG_0647.jpg

I did a rough sketchup to work out the size of the sides to give the required viewing angle

console.jpg

I needed a pencil tray on the top which would hang onto the pencils whilst at sea and decided to build up mouldings on top of a 10mm base.

IMG_0648-1.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0651-1.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

The top would be mitred and domino'd to the sides but the base was a little thin at 10mm so I would have to cut the doms down and restrict the plunge on the cutter. I had made a small upgrade to the mitre shooting board since last week and glued the 45 deg offcut to the bottom edge to prevent wear.

IMG_0655-1.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

I dom'd up a simple frame for the base as I wanted to leave the base and back open for maintenance.

IMG_0673.jpg

This was my first serious job with the domino and I must say I was impressed with the speed you can knock things out. Just as well when you consider the price. The glue up went to plan and we had a carcass!

I made a front panel of off white MFC and made sure the plotter would fit before proceeding

IMG_0657.jpg

At this point LOML arrived and said she wasn't having white chip board at any price so I had to think again. :evil: I had a piece of 8mm Sapele 120mm wide which I decided to deep cut and saw veneer a panel to maintain the appearance. I risked putting a piece of MFC through the thicknesser to mill it down to 15mm and it seems to have survived.

IMG_0659.jpg

As luck would have it I had just bought a new vac bag and valve and had got over the extortionate charge so out came the Airpress for the first time in a while

IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

It cleaned up well having struggled to work out which way the grain was going I was lucky again

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

And in went the veneered panel

IMG_0681.jpg

Another dry run - seems OK

IMG_0689.jpg

Just the clean up and finishing tomorrow.

Inspired by the success of the sawn veneer I decided to make up a new part panel to let into the instrument panel keeping the outer frame and had some re-cycled Honduras Mahogany salvaged from a Midland Bank. This was a bit of a test for the bandsaw cutting 3mm veneers from 250mm material but, in the event, it was problem free.

A solid post from the salvage - this was going to be burnt!

IMG_0684.jpg

Deep sawing the 250mm stock

IMG_0685.jpg

IN the airbag Mahog both sides of some awful FE ply

IMG_0686.jpg

I think that's enough for one day! I'm ready for a beer.

What's the boat? Got any photos?

I'm on the home stretch of building a 21' launch, but thanks to catching a cold earlier in the week have been unable to get out and do any work as I'd planned for this holiday!

Looks really good! What's the wood like after ripping it into thin slices on the bandsaw? Does it tend to cup?

Andy RV":3fzkacg5 said:
Looks really good! What's the wood like after ripping it into thin slices on the bandsaw? Does it tend to cup?

It was heading that way but I had it in the press within 5 mins and 22psi soon put a stop to it :lol:

I've just taken it out and it is great. Very little valuable timber for a large panel and stable aswell.

Nice work Brian - nice boat too.

Cheers

Karl (who once got seasick on a pedalo :oops: )

Back